Need some help please!!!

trisha

Reaction score
Have an 02 7.3 super duty. Was on recall for CPS. had it changed. Now some4 months later truck will NOTstart when engine is hot after being run awhile. Does NOT do it every time, only sometimes. Does NOT cut out while driving it, etc. Took to dealer for service, told them about problem. Computer says nothing wrong, they drove it approx 10 times, re-started every time.Can anyone tell me what could be going on? They tell me they can find NOTHING wrong with truck. Thanks in advance, Trisha

trisha

Reaction score
I made them change out the CPS yesterday when I picked it up, although it did not throw a code. We'll see what happens. I believe it was the CPS all along,buy the mechanic did NOT. Thanks and any more info anyone can give me would be appreciated. Trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Well, it did it again today, after sitting for approx. 2 hrs. after driving. I don't know what to do next, since the shop cannot find the problem. anyone??? Thanks in advance, Trisha

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the fuel pressure when hot?

trisha

Reaction score
Well we are supposed to go out of town next week to Okla, pulling a alumn. livestock trailer. I don't want to be stranded on the road, so I have to find SOME PLACE reputable in Baton Rouge to find the problem with this truck. My husband has never worked on a vehicle in his life and I trusted the dealer to find the prob. ( mistake). Please wish me luck. Trish, thanks for all the tips, I have printed them out.

RenoF250

Reaction score
Have you checked the fuel pressure when hot?

I think Mike is on the right path. Also make sure you hear the fuel pump buzz before you turn the key to start. You may have a bad fuel pump relay and it is not running at all. Also if the pump noise is not smooth, there is probably air in the fuel. It would be very difficult to hear if there is any other noise around though.

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like doing a google maps search for diesel with your local zipcode. You may find someone reputable to diagnose it for you that way.

trisha

Reaction score
Well I had to put it in the shop today. It would not even start cold. It would grind a bit, but not turn over. I talked to a few people and took it to a diesel only repair shop. I had to have it towed. I guess I will hear tomorrow what the verdict is. Trisha

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Trisha,

Basically we have two separate descriptions now, one being that it was a no-start and the second being that the starter would "grind" and not turn crank the engine. I think your mechanic may be a bit challenged with the repair by your description of the problem.

If your engine is not turning over, that is a distinctly different problem than a no-start.

It's very easy to listen for the fuel pump when you turn key-on before cranking if you know what to listen for. Have them show you the sound. Knowing that, it's not a long path to narrow down the problem to fuel system if that is the case.

Best of luck,
-ultra

trisha

Reaction score
It only turned over and not started one time. I can hear the sound you describe. All the other times it would either start or not start. I am still waiting to hear what the problem is. Thanks, Trisha

trisha

Reaction score
You all are not going to believe this. The shop has had my truck since this past Monday. They called today and said this truck has started every time, the mech. can find NOTHING, it is showing NO codes, etc. I don't know where to go from here. I am going to pick it up Monday and just pray! Trisha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online