Need some 7.3 filter head check valve advise

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note I was only able to get the large fuel olive from Ford and they had it in stock... I would have had to buy the entire steel hose in order to get the small olive---DOH! :frustrate

Thanks again for the help everyone!

the p/n for the large seal is 9K260 and the small seal p/n is 9C387. I just got them from my Ford parts man.

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.mcmaster.com

1 50385K83 2 Each Fluoroelastomer Sleeve For 5/16" Tube Od, Vibration-resistant Brass Compression Fitting
2 50385K84 2 Each Fluoroelastomer Sleeve For 3/8" Tube Od, Vibration-resistant Brass Compression Fitting

for your olives........

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone got the part # for the check valve(s)? I'd like to grab one. Think mine is shot... I have clear tubing from the filterhead to the rotunda cap, and when there's air in that line after sitting, i see fuel shooting into the air bubble from the filterhead on idle, AND air getting pulled into the filterhead when i bring the rpm's up. Not sure which way it's supposed to stop the flow (think the second shouldn't be happening...), but i'm pretty sure that BOTH ways aren't the intended behavior...

Parts # for the brass ball type AND the rubber type would be good if possible... Haven't pulled it out yet to look, so I'm not sure which I'll want...

Thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might give Conestoga Diesel Injection a call. Not sure if they will have part numbers but if anyone has them. they will. Or call Oregon fuel injection located in Oregon. Caution needs to be taken because there are 2 different sizes. A small and a large. Generally speaking the 6.9 takes the small and the 7.3 takes the large but any size will fit any engine. Many personal changes have been made to our trucks since they rolled off the dealer.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine from Ford. Just FYI, that check valve is to let air and excess pressure out of the filter head and into the return system, but nothing in the return system should go back into the filter head through the valve.

You can take it out and try to suck through both ends to see if it works. The vacuum you produce with your mouth should be able to pull the valve open from the barbed side, but not the threaded side.

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well.... no suckin here.... I have the spring and ball type...

but I did find some part #'s....

7.3 Fuel filter orifice/check valve; 3/16" E8TZ-9K061-A
7.3 Fuel filter orifice/check valve; 1/4" E9TZ-9K061-A
7.3 Fuel filter orifice--1/4"--spring and check ball F2TZ-9K061-A

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I prefer the ball and spring. When there is air in the filter its open. then when the air changes to fuel the viscosity ichanges and closes the check ball against a seat.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always called the rubber ones a "Duck Bill" check valve. Similar to the ones in the fuel tanks, even the ones on the A/C drain line.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer the ball and spring. When there is air in the filter its open. then when the air changes to fuel the viscosity ichanges and closes the check ball against a seat.

I hate to sound like a butt, but the spring will coil bind long before the ball seats on the back of the brass fitting. Had an issue with a total loss of pressure on a new carter pump and fresh filter... It was all going out that check valve. Pinched the line coming off and got a solid 5 psi. No air in the system, hit the shrader valve and had good flow.

Cut the spring in half and no more pressure issues...

Even checked on the parts truck and the spring was the same longer length.

My thought is that it's designed to always bleed a little bit of fuel into the return system.

What say yall?

Last edited:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
well.... no suckin here.... I have the spring and ball type...

but I did find some part #'s....

7.3 Fuel filter orifice/check valve; 3/16" E8TZ-9K061-A
7.3 Fuel filter orifice/check valve; 1/4" E9TZ-9K061-A
7.3 Fuel filter orifice--1/4"--spring and check ball F2TZ-9K061-A

These should be added to parts bin

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Ford parts diagram is calling it a pressure regulating valve showing the spring and ball type also note it says engine serial number 943929 and above. So maybe thats the answer to which ones have spring type.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 9.43.03 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 9.43.03 AM.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 33

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
The last post I pulled up diagrams for a 93, this is for a 90. Note the serial number and it says valve only no spring or seal required. This was from fordparts.com website.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 10.05.42 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 10.05.42 AM.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 26

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure regulator... So perhaps a weak spring was allowing mine to stay open...

Cyclone Ranger

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the ball and spring check valve (F2TZ-9K061-A) is compatible with a 1988 filter head that came with the duck bill check valve (E8TZ-9K061-A and E9TZ-9K061-A)? It seems like the filter housing would need to have a seat for the spring. I do not see a seat in my 1988 filter head. On a related topic I found this vendor to be an affordable supplier of viton 5/16" and 3/8" compression tube sleeves for our hard fuel line compression fittings. https://www.freshwatersystems.com/, PN#s are Parker 60VLV-5, and Parker 60VLV-6.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7