Need new turbo. Buy used or get rebuild kit?

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was adjusting my fipl today and wanted to check the shaft play on the cold side of the turbo. It has no horizontal shaft play but has about .040 of vertical shaft play. It gets tight to spin if you put any pressure up or down on the shaft itself. I think the bearings are bad in it. I just put a new built tranny in it so I dont want to spend alot of money. Should I get a rebuild kit and if so where should I purchase it from? Or should I buy a used turbo and hope the seller is honest and the bearings are good in it? I use this truck everyday for business so Im in need of a solution....thanks everyone.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing you have neglected to mention is the type of turbo, Banks are not parts friendly IIRC I see you have a Banks dp...however if you have a stock or aftermarket ATS, Typ4 (Russ) can work some serious magic into it.

Perhaps a tad bit more info plz?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'll take a WAG and say you have a factory turbo. So thats a wastegated ATS turbo. Russ is the person to fix it right. A rebuild kit and maybe some modifying for better mpg and hp are easy to do when the turbo is all apart... Please do this one thing... Have the turbo spinning parts balanced. These turbos spin in excess of 120,000 rpm... Thats 2000 rpm per second...:eek: They need to be properly balanced or they will destroy themsleves quickly at that rpm...

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its just a stock turbo I think. I cant find any info on it but I know it says garret on the compressor housing.

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have to use the truck everyday to tow a trailer. How long is a turbo rebuild?

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have never measured the shaft play. But the wheel is not rubbing on the housing or anything but how much play is acceptable in that situation?

sms8921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I got really really worried for a second. Its not rubbing on the housing even if I do push on it. My friend has a cummins and he took a look at it and said that his turbo has no shaft play so we were thinking mine was toast. I am knew to this so I apologize for sounding like an idiot. Thanks

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40 thou is a lot, I do FINALLY have a core to rebuild and make a quicker turnaround.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you want to rebuild the thing yourself, rebuilding a Garret is not rocket science. go on ebay and get a kit from Rons Turbo Service ( call him if you dont see one currently listed for your turbo) and when you get the kit and have yours torn down, he'll tell you which parts to send him to get the innards balanced, quick turnaround, ( and the wheels and shaft will get a thorough inspection ... my intake impeller wheel failed, didnt shock me there had been a K&N air filter on there with the turbo when I got it and I had been wondering about it, he fixed me up with a replacement very reasonable )when you get the guts back, assemble as told and you'll be all set. I rebuilt mine about 5 or so years ago now, and close to 100k miles ago, works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist