Need more POWER!

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys.

I have the low mile 92 f250 7.3/zf5 4.10s I inherited when my grandfather passed away. It's an amazing truck, I love it, and it will be in the family for as long as I'm alive. With that being said. I occasionally pull my 24" enclosed and race car and I would like more power. I currently have the mods listed below. I know I can get an intercooler setup and I'd like to do that next but what about a built pump and upping the boost?

Banks Sidewinder with the new style "Quick-Turbo" unit
Runs 11 psi all the time

Banks Monster Exhaust from the down-pipe back

Grill intake scoop with ducting

Pump turned up 3 flats from stock

Egts say down nicely at the moment

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. About this engine fuel system. We need to know how many miles are om the injectors and the injection pump. Then advice can be given about more hp. Generally speaking the pump and injectors last around 125,000 miles. Some last longer but some don't. As for the exhaust system removing the muffler will increase hp and torque. A muffler is not needed with a turbo because the sound is chopped up by the turbo. The engine will sound louder when its working but any engine will do that.:sly A hypermax cold air intake helps too. About the best built pump with a great reputation is the Moose pump. The member responsible for bringing this to us is named Agnem. Thats his sign on name. Mel is a great guy to deal with too. If you replace the pump you will need to time the engine or have someone that really knows how to do this. I offer a timing meter rental program and you get all the information and tools or this important job. Reason I offer this is nobody in the US or Canada offers timing for these engines. And if they do some will time by ear and charge you for it...:eek: Thats silly. Its just not practical to time that way. If your going to replace injectors only use a new set of BB code Delphi injectors. They have been proven time and time again to be the best. The G codes just can't measure up to the BB codes. I know, I have tried over the years and will never run them again. Please answer some questions posted here so we can advise you on what to do.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I would think Gary is right, if you've got three flats turned up on the pump and your EGT's are still low, sounds like you're not getting enough fuel.

I had my pump turned up a bit and still had a hard time getting the EGT's up, so I replaced the pump and injectors and got one of icanfixall's timing meters and then "I was cooking with grease."

;Sweet

Till i broke the engine... :rolleyes: cookoo

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the Banks, you can shorten the wastegate rod to increase the boost, or if you are really feeling froggy, you can just disconnect the pressure hose (plug the end of course) from the wastegate.

The best step up from the stock injection pump and injectors are the Moose pump and Moose injectors (in my opinion). The intercooler is a great idea as well.

Like Gary said, have the truck properly timed is key to getting the best out of whatever IP and injectors you are using.

There are a few cam options as well. Russ (typ4) has a torque cam that has provided good results to many members. I've put one in the 6.9 I'm currently rebuilding.

Heath

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also what do you desire to hit powerwise? This can also help with what you need. There are a few guys here and on other sites doing full custon builds. Most tend to keep power between 200-250hp for realibilty sake and the commonly accepted expectation that the an idi will run forever at those power levels but there has been a recent trend of guys building for more power. Most believe that if you keep boost under 20psi with studs you will make good power and have good reliablilty. As for me, IMO I think these engines can handle way more than that. We just need the fuel and a better turbo plus a few other mods to do so...

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the Banks, you can shorten the wastegate rod to increase the boost, or if you are really feeling froggy, you can just disconnect the pressure hose (plug the end of course) from the wastegate.

Heath

Heath, what does that do to drive pressure? I'm working on a Cummins project where we did that and drive pressure went thru the roof. Might be apples and oranges in this case but it's got me to thinking. Can't experiment on mine 'cause it has the old style, non-wastegated Rotomaster TO4B (though I will be installing my gauge temporarily to see. Wastegated turbos usually have low drive pressure, which is why they generally have lower EGTs under load. 'Course you don't get that great boost down low, either.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet drive pressure gets higher than boost numbers when you reach a certain point on both the Banks and Ats wastegated turbos...

wmoguy

Reaction score
Heath, what does that do to drive pressure? I'm working on a Cummins project where we did that and drive pressure went thru the roof. Might be apples and oranges in this case but it's got me to thinking. Can't experiment on mine 'cause it has the old style, non-wastegated Rotomaster TO4B (though I will be installing my gauge temporarily to see. Wastegated turbos usually have low drive pressure, which is why they generally have lower EGTs under load. 'Course you don't get that great boost down low, either.

I'd love to see someone put a drive pressure gauge on their ATS or Banks turbos. (or Hypermax) I've got this feeling that the drive pressures aren't nearly ideal on any of the 3 setups.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I bet Ats is the worst followed by the Banks unit. The Hypermax might not be too terrible cus it is a non-gated housing and is a bit bigger.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Heath

you could also put in a boost controller. even the manual ones would work fine. then you still get the benefits of a wategate, but with a little more control

pwrsmoke: i believe you're backwards. doesnt a wastegated turbo spool faster yet retain more heat?

Last edited:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep a wastegated unit spools faster. It has a smaller housing thus a wategate is needed so the turbo doesn't over spool...

Last edited:

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. didnt know if my 12hr workday with my fever has cooked my brain yet. glad to see im still functioning on 2 brain cells... lol.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just under 100K on the truck, EGT probe is in turbo feed manifold. I'm sure its off 100* or so. And as far as the Moose Pump, I've heard and read about them on here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online