Need lower egt's

Mike D

Reaction score
Okay its a 94 with just a #6 torque plate now it has straight pipe all the way back its like 3 1/2". i do plan on a full 4 or 5 inch exhaust but will that really bring my egts down for towing cause with no load the truck will fly past 1200 and there is now way I could tow now cause just aroung town i am usually at 700-800. what do you guys suggest

rubberfish

Reaction score
Is the number 6 plate the only mod?
Is it full forward, or in the stock location?
If so you should be able to manage egt's
with your right foot. Although, an air intake
and the 4" that you mentioned will help a lot.

p.s. Welcome to the site. :)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Where is the AFC wheel set to? I know mine when in towing season I will tighten it up so that she can't to fuel much until around 1600~1700 rpms and I get much more useable power out of her for dragging the TT - so much so that I can really hump and lump down the road and run right up a mountain grade at highway speeds. But if I have the AFC wheel set to fog for bugs anytime that I press on the little skinny pedal then I find that I have back off to often while pulling and even then when just running around town. Reason for this is you won't get behind the 8 ball so to speak right off the line with the EGT's you actually give the turbo a chance to spool up before adding the fuel which forces the EGT's to come up slower because there is more air in the mix when it's finally turned loose. You will notice no power loss in the seat of the pants when driving down the road but you will notice a slight bit more lag when coming off the line because you will have to wait until the rpms and boost are correct but again where the power really matters (highway speeds) you won't notice a thing. - trust me I had those fears when I went to cranking mine back.

Let the engine have the fuel a little later and she will respond better in the heat management department.

Mike D

Reaction score
#6 plate is the only mod
As soon as possible i will do the 5" all the way back

CGriffith

Town Drunk
Reaction score
You need to plug the wastegate or use a waste gate control elbow if you haven't already. If your not making much boost you can check for leaks by caping the turbo inlet and hooking up compressed air to the manifold. Those temps sound high to me, need more air somehow
Is this an auto or manual?

Mike D

Reaction score
It is a 5 speed and just cruising on the freeway at 65 I'm at 800-900. It boosts up to 22 but right when it starts to boost the egts will climb past 1200 but i haven't done that other than one or twice when i forgot look over at the gauge. The torque plate came with the boost fitting to up the boost but isn't stock 17? and by adding that much more fuel i would think that the boost should be higher than that?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Checked the air filter, or filterminder? I got a buddy that has a 96 5spd with 3k GSK, Scotty intake, and a #0 plate full forward, all on a stock turbo, & it doesnt see over 900. I'm thinking plugged air filter, boost leak, or similar.

CGriffith

Town Drunk
Reaction score
nevrenufhp said:
Checked the air filter, or filterminder? I got a buddy that has a 96 5spd with 3k GSK, Scotty intake, and a #0 plate full forward, all on a stock turbo, & it doesnt see over 900. I'm thinking plugged air filter, boost leak, or similar.

Is that 900 post turbo? Cause if its preturbo your buddy has a busted guage or a **** on his hands

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
it's 900 pre-T. I ground the plate, and I slid it forward. I drove it too, it's got some good power. Towing a snowmobile & trailer it'll get a bit over 1200 though.

Mike D

Reaction score
Well i upped the boost with a manual boost controler and checked for leaks. now my egts will not go over 11 full throttle balls out. the boost will peak at 30.

rubberfish

Reaction score
CGriffith said:
Is that 900 post turbo? Cause if its preturbo your buddy has a busted guage or a **** on his hands
I was thinking along the same lines. I'd love to have those egt's.
Somehow it seems impossible though. Certainly not possible
with my current setup anyways. LOL LOL LOL

CGriffith

Town Drunk
Reaction score
Mike D said:
Well i upped the boost with a manual boost controler and checked for leaks. now my egts will not go over 11 full throttle balls out. the boost will peak at 30.
Sweet, sounds like you found the problem. If balls out in 5th=1100deg, I would slide that plate forward for more ponies and smoke. But only if you got the clutch to hold it. Just keep it under 1250 egts for extended pulling. Also stock turbos go away at 38+ psi so keep it below that till the checkbook gets fat. You can run without a wastegate as long as it doesn't make more than 38 pounds.

Last edited:

CGriffith

Town Drunk
Reaction score
nevrenufhp said:
it's 900 pre-T. I ground the plate, and I slid it forward. I drove it too, it's got some good power. Towing a snowmobile & trailer it'll get a bit over 1200 though.

Not trying to being an **** or anything but something is wrong with those #s. What kind of boost does that truck make? All the plate you can throw at that truck should be way exceeding the turbo's capability. EGT guages can can be a PITA sometimes. Or something is wrong with the fuel system on that truck. Is the AFC tight? Fuel filter? Fuel pressure?
What plate did you start grinding on? An 11 full forward will make you lift unless you have airflow improvments.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
The gauge that's on it is several years old, so it's possible that it is getting inacurate. It was a stock plate originally, ScottyII intake, 14cm W/gated ehx housing, 4" turbo back exhaust. It sees about 42pounds in 5th, he's running too fast(mph) to get the EGT too high. The trailer is barely 1000 pounds too, that's what kicks it to 1200. He's also 600 miles away from me. This is what I'm told. I ground the plate while on vacation a couple months ago.