Need help with front axle!!!

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:yell:Again I need your help with my front axle, I need to replace the rotors on my 94 f250 7.3 with factory turbo but I'm having a hard time getting the retaining nut off-cuss.
I went to autozone and bought the 4 prong socket but found that it was too small for the nut. the socket was about 2.25" and the nut on the truck looks like it's about 2.5". My questions are...

1. clockwise or counter clockwise on the retaining nut.:dunno
2. how can I tell what axle I have so I can get the correct socket. ( it's not the solid axle):dunno

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 4-prong socket for my F350 Dana 60 and it says it's also for:

'85-current Ford F-250 HD truck, DANA 50 IFS and Model 60 monobeam. I'd guess this is the socket you're looking for? larger than the D44 socket you probably have now.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
There are two 4 prong sockets, sounds like you grabbed the smaller one for the D44 axle. Just go back and find the larger version of the socket you have now. You have a F-250 with a diesel so you should have a D50 front axle. The nut will come off counter-clockwise

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...You have a F-250 with a diesel so you should have a D50 front axle...

Correction... he has an F-250 Diesel SUPER cab.. or crew cab... or anything other than a standard cab. Early standard cab F series diesels DID have Dana 44HD's, so I just wanted to clarify that in case someone finds this thread using a search in the future.

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, went to 3 Azones during my lunch break and finally found the socket that OB-WAN described in his post:thumbsup: It says on the package that it measures 2.5" across so I'll know tonight when I get home. By the way I payed $20.00 for it.

Thanks for all the help guys:hail

Last edited:

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Correction... he has an F-250 Diesel SUPER cab.. or crew cab... or anything other than a standard cab. Early standard cab F series diesels DID have Dana 44HD's, so I just wanted to clarify that in case someone finds this thread using a search in the future.

I was aware the 3/4 ton trucks with a standard cab could have a HD D44 up front, but I wasn't sure if being a diesel would warrant a factory D50 under a standard cab. The 86 standard cab 6.9 I will be picking up soon has a D50 up front.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you knock the studds out you can simply pull the rotor off ,, but this is how i do it ,, if you wanna pay more to replace the whole thing thats kewl ,, but i like to save money and just do alittle extra work

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I don't think so MUDKICKR, I measured my Sterling Nut and it's 2.75" across.

It may be the same as a D60 rear though.:dunno

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the 76mm socket I got at Azone worked like a charm:sly. On the driver side I really cranked on the nut to get it off, had to sit on my 30" breaker bar to break it loose, the passenger side came right off with little effort.

OilBurners.net... better then a Helms:hail

Attachments

• 527302111_1861791316_0.jpg
    527302111_1861791316_0.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: