need help with finding a gear

94 non stroker

Reaction score
i have a 94 ford f-superduty idi non turbo five speed and i am wondering if any of you know where i can find a differential for this truck so i can have a decent highway gear im a traveling diesel mechanic and this truck runs very unhealthy at freeway speeds

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're not going to like what I have to say. Dana considers these rears to be the "older series" rears and as a result, there is little support on gear ratios. As far as I am aware of, 4.63 is the lowest you can go without a new center section which is extremely rare in this group. I did get an entire rear out of a salvaged motorhome with 4.63's, but it is not without trade offs. 5.13 can pull like noone's business, but lack in the top end. 4.63's will give you a little more top end, but you will get slaughtered in the hills.
good luck;Sweet

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
The older trucks came with 3:55 and 4:11, but the 94 is sort of a transition period that I've read conflicting info about.

Here is a page that might help though.

http://www.usgear.com/tl/ford2.htm

If that is really an F 450 or up then the last post is probably right on.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A 10 lug bolt rear end is the super duty or the later F450 trucks... Some will say "Same *****... Just a differant dress"....:eek::D

Last edited:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen guys call there older F350s a superduty by mistake so I thought I would cover both bases.:D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trust me its an f450/super duty,if it wasnt he wouldnt be complaing about the gearing.

finding the higher gear,good luck!i have torn apart many super dutys and have never found that gear.you can get aftermarket gears for it,but they aint cheap if you can find them(i dont remember who to order them from).and i believe the guts from a 1 ton dodge will fit it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trust me its an f450/super duty,if it wasnt he wouldnt be complaing about the gearing.

finding the higher gear,good luck!i have torn apart many super dutys and have never found that gear.you can get aftermarket gears for it,but they aint cheap if you can find them(i dont remember who to order them from).and i believe the guts from a 1 ton dodge will fit it.
rich-
the dodge is the later model. from what I understand, it won't fit in the older case/housing.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
how about just swapping the axle for something with more usable gearing? Dana 70 or 80?

How much do you load it?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.13 can pull like noone's business, but lack in the top end. 4.63's will give you a little more top end, but you will get slaughtered in the hills.
Calvin, is the situation with the 4.63s really that bad? Cause the truck has the same engine and cab as us 1-ton folks, and we seem to do alright with 4.10s - is his truck really that much heavier than a regular crew dually that even 4.63s ain't enough to push him uphill?

how about just swapping the axle for something with more usable gearing? Dana 70 or 80?
I thought what he has there already is a D80?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calvin, is the situation with the 4.63s really that bad? Cause the truck has the same engine and cab as us 1-ton folks, and we seem to do alright with 4.10s - is his truck really that much heavier than a regular crew dually that even 4.63s ain't enough to push him uphill?

I thought what he has there already is a D80?
on my F450 carrier, the Tare is 9600 lbs stripped. my little wreckers are 8000lbs stripped tare.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
how is he going to handle the lugnut issues then?

What issues? 10 lug vs 8?

If he was running 10 lugs, I figured that he did not rotate the steering with the back...

Besides I am sure that there are other matching lug pattern axles that have better ratios.

Another option would be a 10 lug conversion... though I am not sure how much those cost... but I know they are available.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Pop the 4.63 in there and then slap a brownie in that thing and you'll have all kinds of gears :sly No trade offs :D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the f450s trany is also geared higher than your f350/f250s.

my f450 was 13,000 empty when it was wrecker and was 9200 after i turned it into a carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle