Need help, quick!

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had the crappiest thing happen to me today and was hoping someone could help me out. My wife went on a 300 mile round trip today and when she got home was complaining that the truck smelled like diesel. We went out to dinner and when we got there I noticed a trail of diesel coming from my truck and that the high pressure side was leaking at the fuel tank. I got the truck home and started taking things apart to see what exactly was leaking. I poked the high pressure line and it snapped at the elbow. The truck was in an accident before I bought it so I am thinking it was damaged and just now got to the point to where it was noticeable.

Can someone tell me a good on line source to get a replacement? I am not even sure what to call it, and so far I've only been finding the complete assembly with the pump and gauge sender. I also need it quickly because this is my wife's only way to get around. I'd appreciate any help you can give. Thanks in advance!

LostSoul

Reaction score
I Hate to be the bad guy, but it sounds like you are replacing a Sending unit. I would suggest getting a hold of a Rad/Gas Tank shop and see what they can do. I know we have sent some of the more expensive Sending units out to be repaired, but it is not always possible.

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Hate to be the bad guy, but it sounds like you are replacing a Sending unit. I would suggest getting a hold of a Rad/Gas Tank shop and see what they can do. I know we have sent some of the more expensive Sending units out to be repaired, but it is not always possible.

Yeah, I didn't want to shell out the $200 for a new unit so tonight I dropped the tank and took the sending unit to Kragen's to piece together something to fix it. Once I found someone who spoke english and finally argued them down to admit they had a brass fitting stock, I came to the conclusion that they didn't have what I need, so I ended up going to Home Depot and using 1/8" brass pipe fittings to create a bulkhead fitting. I then used fuel injection hose to connect the lift pump to the bulkhead. I had to cut off the nylon tube that originally went from the frame to the sending unit and just run fuel injection line. Started up no problem, no leaks... I ended up using epoxy to seal the brass fittings... Hopefully it lasts! At least I know it's no biggie to drop the tank.

LostSoul

Reaction score
I hope it holds up for you, but keep an eye on it. I repaired a fuel cell with epoxy and it lasted a short time before the gas ate the seal and it was finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online