need help on rear axle pinion bearing truck is down

longhorn795

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking my pinion bearing was shot cause a couple day's ago I had found my pinion nut came loose on me some how, so I started driving it again and it started to make a popping noise so I figured it messed up my bearing when it came loose. I took everything out of the rear end and the bearing was very loose in there is this supposed to be like this? So after I took the front seal out of it and got the bearing out but I cant get the race, and when you put the bearing against the race it's tight?Is it good or bad?? anybody help me please:dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you replaced the crush sleeve and installed a NEW nut with Lock tight?

I'll be installing a crush sleeve eliminator in next week or two in mine but that won't likely help you much.

Are your splines on the pinion toast or in good condition?

How about YOKE splines are they ok or worn?

If either of those are worn you will have to replace parts.

Don't forget to clean those splines thoroughly and smear some RTV on the splines to facilitate a leak free pinion!

If you do end up having to replace the pinion and ring gear, try to get a new yoke too and do best you can at getting a 93 up model as it has longer splined area for less issues.

This is a great bit of info here

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...06_ford_1025_1050_inch_axle_tips/viewall.html

Hope that helps you out.

Al

longhorn795

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everything on the inside look's good bearing look's good race everything but stil cant figure it out

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everything on the inside look's good bearing look's good race everything but stil cant figure it out

Do you have a POSI or a open diff? If open inspect the cross shaft and pinion gears on it for wear, those can be problematic.

A new crush sleeve BTW is about 5 bucks and a new nut a few bucks, good investment for when you put it back together.

I've got a lunch box locker going into my open diff, thus my worn parts are not a significant problem.

Have you removed the carrier to inspect the pinion and inner bearing? With a loose pinion nut did the pinion walk into the carrier?

Lots to check.

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online