Need help connecting Banks pipe to 3" exhaust

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it all in yesterday - as I'd posted, quite a struggle since the complete turbo assembly was NOT going in there with the up-pipe bolted to the turbo. Maybe my body mounts are old... Anyhow my Banks 52103 is in place :)

When I got the truck it had a straight 3" pipe welded to the Y, in basically the factory location. Way too loud for me. So I had a Walker truck muffler put in it - much better.

Anyhow I have about a foot separation between where I cut off the 3" pipe and the end of the downpipe which my reading tells me is 2.75". Don't know if that is ID or OD at the tail end, time to get under and measure. I suspect a piece of 3" could be slipped over the downpipe and welded to it - but I may want to remove the Banks someday and obviously if it's welded to the entire exhaust that won't work.

What do you suggest? Is there even a band clamp with 2.75"/3" to make a butt-joint? Or, maybe weld the 3" to the downpipe (if it'll slip over), then use a 3"/3" straight band clamp to butt to the tailpipe?

Whatever it is, it's got to be simple - I live in a rural area where there are few exhaust shops and often hear "this is how we've always done it" or "can't do that" :rolleyes: Thanks for any advice!

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember right I slid a 3inch over my down pipe To 3 inch exhaust and welded that then used 3 inch to 3 inch band clamp from the local Napa and clamped it its held up pretty good If I was home right now I'd take a picture fo you

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks it's OK, your description is fine. That is one of the possibilities I already thought of ;)
I just measured the Banks OD at 2.840 which will slide into a 3" (OD) 18 ga and maybe 16 ga pipe.

I'll still need a bend though - the end of the Banks is not parallel with the ground or the straight 3" pipe that goes back to the "garbage truck" muffler. Looks like 20-30 degrees. Now if I can lay my hands on a piece of 3" flex exhaust tubing and a band clamp, I can rig it to get me to the shop where they can bend a proper elbow :)

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an 18" piece of 3" flex tubing from Summit (labeled "Diesel Tech" or something)... it turned out to be 3" ID, not OD, but that worked out great. I slid the far end onto the tailpipe (snug fit), then worked it onto the OD of the Banks downpipe (a bit looser), and just left it there! Took 5 minutes, and didn't even need the band clamp. :cool

I may put a U-bolt clamp on the tail end just to keep it from walking around. Meanwhile it should get me to the exhaust shop without that law-attracting open-pipe sound ;)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just so you know, the open exhaust is quieter with a turbo on it than just N/A. The turbo muffles the intake side too. It's not as noisy either. I'm not saying that you did anything wrong, just a little bit of FYI.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm aware of that... still I prefer to hook up the exhaust so the hot gases go where they are supposed to (and be quieter so I can hear other noises that may indicate trouble).

My NA air cleaner had the snorkel missing, but stock soup bowl. I never hear any intake noise over the IDI and the Mud-Terrain tires... not to mention the stereo with a 10" sub behind the seat :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online