Need help ASAP with timing

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Working on timing my truck with Gary's meter using the line clamp and magnetic probe. I got a timing reading of 4.7. Which way do I rotate this pump?

I know towards the p/s fender is advanced, but I am confused.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You got 4.7 before (-) or after (+) tdc?

If it's +4.7, you need to go towards p/s fender.
Either way, you need to advance it more.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I know towards the p/s fender is advanced, but I am confused.

Top of pump rotates towards passenger side of truck to advance timing. Standing in front of the truck looking at the pump with the gear cover between you and the pump you would rotate the pump counterclockwise to advance. If sitting in the truck looking at the pump you would rotate clockwise to advance. Hopefully that clarifies.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you tried calling me and I was not available I'm sorry. Been in dr office today with a dead cell battery. Charging now. But to advance your timing you turn the pump towards the passenger side of the truck. If your not understanding what the pump is telling you just make a move and retest. The degrees will tell you if you went the right or wrong way. At this point you could be retarded or advanced the degree you are seeing. The meter will tell you plus or minus degrees of timing.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Got it to 9.7. Thanks for the help! Gary, I will be sending the unit back your way tomorrow. Thank you again so much!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. Sorry I was not available when you needed questions answered but its something I tried to avoid. Dead cell battery and sitting at dr office is not one of my better days plus my carma is on the wrong side of good these days. Thanks for the support too.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Hows it run now?

Well, to be honest, there wasn't too much of a difference that I can notice yet. Seems a bit more peppy, shifts seem a little nicer. It's not like it turned into a new truck, but hopefully it solves some smaller issues for me. I will have to go for a long drive to notice any mileage difference. Hopefully I will stop burning glow plugs right and left.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. Sorry I was not available when you needed questions answered but its something I tried to avoid. Dead cell battery and sitting at dr office is not one of my better days plus my carma is on the wrong side of good these days. Thanks for the support too.

That's ok. You did more than enough by renting me your tool. I hope you're well and karma turns around for you. The main thing is that it finally got done!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your right on finally knowing what the timing is. Its really sad we have to guess when it comes to timing our engines. and thats because the repair community has thrown us under the bus by not servicing our trucks or engines any longer. Even more sad is they are throwing away the income from us. I feel I'm the only one trying to make a difference in the idi timing community with what I do. We do have others with my same meters but they are like me. Trying to help out all that come. Sometimes I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. Thats why I sold three of my meters to members here.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary, how tight is your timing meter rental schedule. I'm looking at a new pump and will need to time it when I do. Just wondering if I need to get in line now. I'm looking at doing it in March at the earliest.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
March is a long ways off but I see no issues with that time frame. I just need to know when you need it by the date needed. then fitting you in is the next issue. Hoping to have several more meters availble soon but we will see how the repairs go. I have one that has some burned out digital displays so the rpm and numbers don't show up completely. but I know how to read it so it satys here. Can't see sending that out when its not right. I'm suggesting to each person that uses this meter to make several timing adjustment marks when they have the meter. If you know where the 9.0, 9.5 or 10.0 degrees of timing mark on the pump to gear housing is by making a center punch mark you can adjust the timing without needing a meter. Just move the pump till the next mark lines up. Now this will only work on the pump you use at the time to adjust the timing. any other pump installed on that engine will not time up the same. This idea just takes the guess work out of changing the timing without a meter.