Need expert advice....looking to purchase?

peachcowboy

Reaction score
This is the ad for a truck I am looking at....Run? Or can I get a great deal on a fixer? Best advice is from owners...so please?

The Good:
Low miles for a 7.3 diesel
Has off road tires with kevlar in sidewalls with plenty of tread left
Red cloth interrior
Power windows
four wheel drive that works GREAT
New fuel pump
New injector install kit
New fuel lines on top end
Changed oil 1500 miles ago
Changed fuel filter 3000 miles ago
Two new 3 year warranty batteries bought end of year last year
Awesome exhaust that sounds amazing
Never been chipped
2 fuel tanks that both work
fifth wheel hitch mount (previous owner had installed 3+ years ago)
New thermostat and flushed the cooling system at the end of the year last year
New glow plugs put in mi year last year (3-4000 miles ago)
Towing package
HOT heat
COLD air
Engine runs SMOOTH
Transmission shifts SMOOTH
And of course the awesome 7.3 litre Turbo diesel engine

The bad:
Little rust on rocker panels
Parking brake doesn't work
Steering wheel is a little loose
Engine runs great but will randomly shut off (doesn't overheat or anything, it just turns off)
It doesn't always do this but it could only be two things that i know of (either all the fuel lines need to be changed, or the water pump is bad and the computer shuts it off)
I already bought the water pump. I just gave up on trying to install it myself. Not enough time.
I'm not sure what is wrong with it but I am positive it is nothing major because it runs so great when it doesn't die. But that is why the price is so low for an amazing truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. So its a 7.3.. Can you tell us if its an idi or a powerstroke engine 7.3. From the sounds of what you have posted I'm thinking its an idi engine. Easy way to know what it is will be to look at the block serial numbers next to the injection pump gear housing on the drivers side. They are stamped into the block. Post them here so we can tell what your looking at. As for randoming shut downs. No way will a water pump cause that. Your best bet is to read up how to replace the water pump. You can really mess things up doing it wrong by mixing up the bolts or not sealing the bolt threads in certain locations. The shut down will happen if the fuel tank suctions are broken off. then you get down to the last 1/4 tank of fuel and run out because it can't suck any more out. A bad fuel line from the tanks to the lift pump will suck air too. A bad fuel tank switching valve can hang up between tanks and suck air too. A bad ignition switch can shut down an engine to. The easy fix for that is a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery on either side of the truck and run it directly to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the injection pump. Thats the large connecter closest to the radiater on top of the injection pump. If you remove the connecter there and use the jumper you can't stop the running engine by the ignition switch any longer. You have to remove the wire from the pump or the battery. Thats not a bad thing either but it will tell you if the ignition switch is the cause of the shutdowns.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
This is a powerstroke, it references never being chipped, meaning modified computer chips. Post the year and model, that will help a lot. There is a powerstroke forum here, they can help too.

peachcowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It is a 1993 7.3 IDI with a turbo...Not yet the powerstroke. I was confused on where to post as it kind of sits between. I was thinking if it runs fine most of the time it should be a traceable fix. The water pump post has me a little skittish as maybe he already did it wrong and screwed something up? I am not afraid to turn a wrench and do most of my own maintenece on my gas vehicles, but a total noob on the diesels. I suppose taking it to a reliable diesel mechanic for a once over would be the smart thing. Best way to find one of those????

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
PO is an idiot. No computer for the engine so no chipping, and it can't "shut of the engine". Either an electrical problem at the IP, or an air intrusion issue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If this is an auto trans truck then it can and will have a computer but.. All the cpu does is manage the trans shifting by all the differant sensers it sees. The Trans that requires a cpu is the 4 speed E4OD trans.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Good:
Low miles for a 7.3 diesel Mileage means very little with how much age these trucks have on them. Maintenance is what is important. It could have 50k on it and need a complete rebuild or have 250k and be in fine shape.
Has off road tires with kevlar in sidewalls with plenty of tread left Have you checked the date code? If older than 5 years they're on borrowed time, 10 and they're probably unsafe.
Red cloth interrior Thats good? Just kidding, if you like it that's great.
Power windows
New fuel pump If its not a Carter or OEM from Ford/IH plan on replacing. The airtex/delphi are junk that don't last.
New injector install kit
Two new 3 year warranty batteries bought end of year last year How many cold cranking amps? If they're below 850 you'll probably have cold start issues in Asheville if you can't plug in unless everything else is in perfect condition.
Never been chipped This will be true of any IDI you look at, as there is no computer to chip.
2 fuel tanks that both work This will be true of most trucks that you look at.
fifth wheel hitch mount (previous owner had installed 3+ years ago) If you plan to tow a 5th wheel this is a bonus, otherwise it is a space hog in your bed.
New thermostat and flushed the cooling system at the end of the year last year If there is a receipt showing its a Motorcraft thermostat, great. Otherwise, plan on changing it. Parts store thermostats will not work properly. Its not hard to change. Is the coolant the correct stuff? With cavitation additive?
New glow plugs put in mi year last year (3-4000 miles ago) Plan on changing them if they're not Beru. Autolite/Champion etc will likely just swell and break off, possibly requiring the head to be pulled to get the tip out.
Towing package Pretty much any diesel out there has this/
HOT heat
COLD air
Engine runs SMOOTH Smooth can mean retarted timing or worn fuel system. Does it feel reasonably powerful? With a new fuel system and proper timing my truck sounds loud and kind of rattly, but it runs good.
And of course the awesome 7.3 litre Turbo diesel engine If its a factory turbo, that is a plus. Of course the turbo is a plus regardless, but factory turbo even better IMO.

The bad:
Parking brake doesn't work Probably not a big deal, but I'd fix it. If its an auto, the little piece of metal that engages when you put it in park is scary tiny for a 7000 lb truck.
Engine runs great but will randomly shut off (doesn't overheat or anything, it just turns off) Probably air intrusion or electrical to the Fuel shutoff solenoid. Does it start right back up without issue?
It doesn't always do this but it could only be two things that i know of (either all the fuel lines need to be changed, or the water pump is bad and the computer shuts it off)
I already bought the water pump. I just gave up on trying to install it myself. Not enough time.
I'm not sure what is wrong with it but I am positive it is nothing major because it runs so great when it doesn't die. But that is why the price is so low for an amazing truck.

My thoughts in blue.

peachcowboy

Reaction score
The Good:
Low miles for a 7.3 diesel Mileage means very little with how much age these trucks have on them. Maintenance is what is important. It could have 50k on it and need a complete rebuild or have 250k and be in fine shape.
Has off road tires with kevlar in sidewalls with plenty of tread left Have you checked the date code? If older than 5 years they're on borrowed time, 10 and they're probably unsafe.
Red cloth interrior Thats good? Just kidding, if you like it that's great.
Power windows
New fuel pump If its not a Carter or OEM from Ford/IH plan on replacing. The airtex/delphi are junk that don't last.
New injector install kit
Two new 3 year warranty batteries bought end of year last year How many cold cranking amps? If they're below 850 you'll probably have cold start issues in Asheville if you can't plug in unless everything else is in perfect condition.
Never been chipped This will be true of any IDI you look at, as there is no computer to chip.
fifth wheel hitch mount (previous owner had installed 3+ years ago) If you plan to tow a 5th wheel this is a bonus, otherwise it is a space hog in your bed.
New thermostat and flushed the cooling system at the end of the year last year If there is a receipt showing its a Motorcraft thermostat, great. Otherwise, plan on changing it. Parts store thermostats will not work properly. Its not hard to change. Is the coolant the correct stuff? With cavitation additive?
New glow plugs put in mi year last year (3-4000 miles ago) Plan on changing them if they're not Beru. Autolite/Champion etc will likely just swell and break off, possibly requiring the head to be pulled to get the tip out.
Towing package Pretty much any diesel out there has this/
HOT heat
COLD air
Engine runs SMOOTH Smooth can mean retarted timing or worn fuel system. Does it feel reasonably powerful? With a new fuel system and proper timing my truck sounds loud and kind of rattly, but it runs good.
And of course the awesome 7.3 litre Turbo diesel engine If its a factory turbo, that is a plus. Of course the turbo is a plus regardless, but factory turbo even better IMO.

The bad:
Parking brake doesn't work Probably not a big deal, but I'd fix it. If its an auto, the little piece of metal that engages when you put it in park is scary tiny for a 7000 lb truck.
Engine runs great but will randomly shut off (doesn't overheat or anything, it just turns off) Probably air intrusion or electrical to the Fuel shutoff solenoid. Does it start right back up without issue?

My thoughts in blue.

What a great response! Thanks to all of you for your time and effort...if I buy the truck I will surely become a regular here! Doesn't sound like any of you are really trying to scare me off, I will schedule a look this weekend.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to OB, best place for info on these trucks bar none!

Now as a self proclaimed newb to diesels I highly recommend you go through the FAQ section thoroughly and the tech articles to see about whats involved with servicing these rides. Also sadly gander at the Hall of Shame so you keep yer sheckles in yer own pocket not some unscrupulous vendors!

As for the intermittent shut off, that could be wiring and being it is RFN shut down not cough spurt bog shut down that sounds like an electrical issue causing the FSS to shut off.

There is really no way the water pump would shut down the engine IMHO unless it was failing and the truck overheated, and you would have worse problems and they would show themselves if that was the case. If you are worried about the WP look in the tech section and read the thread on WP replacement that should help you get through doing a swap as it's not that hard really! Not much different than a gasser just different is all.

As for transmission what is it? E4OD or ZF5sp or T19 4sp or C6 3sp? I didn't see an answer.

All the new parts thrown at it sounds like it's been bandaided over the last while and neglected previously all in order to make it run and sell.

I like your idea of getting a mechanic to look at it. Find a ma/pa shop if you can with an older 50 something mechanic who would likely be familiar with these trucks not some 20 something new apprentice who only knows how to read a code reader!

Rust can be dealt with ...loose steering wheel is it a tilt if so that could be a problem with intermittent shut down...one thing you have to learn hear...be very specific down to last details so we can better help you.

Again welcome to the OB board!

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This forum is not about experts not about scareing you off of something. We try to explain what we know from first hand experiance. I really feel we have a better track record than any dealership out there. Nobody wants anything to do with these simple to maintain engines. They really can be a money maker. simple fuel system and many engine internal parts cross over to all the idi engines. As for expersts here. We have none of those. Please remember experts built the Tintanic and an amature carpenter built the ARK.:angel:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score

this is the only statement i do not agree with.

In the rust belt areas (NC is on the fringe) you typically have the opposite. you will have one working tank and your lucky if any of the gauges read correctly. the tops of the fuel tanks are prone to rust. I've had more ford trucks with non working senders then i have had with working senders LOL eventually you learn to drive with the odometer and not the fuel gauge. the fun is when your towing and its using more fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86