Need an IP, where is the best place to get one?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Hey Barney :)

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions... Gary I just saw your PM yesterday and responded. For some reason its not sending me emails when I get PM's. :dunno

Symptoms are: hard to crank, acts like it isnt getting sufficient fuel, and dies when the clutch is pushed in, or does its best too. This is all sporadic too.... I was told IP was the problem. The IP on it is under 2 years old, I would have thought it would have lasted longer? but what do I know... thats why I have you guys :D
Any thoughts?

Lets get some terminology standard so we can all understand.
"Hard to crank". In my use of the term, "Cranking" refers to how well/fast the engine is turned over by the starter. It had nothing to do with whether or not the engine starts and runs; it is a description of the effect of the starter. Actually, "Hard to crank" is really not descriptive, If it cranks slowly, I would say, "SLOW to crank".

I am not busting on you, maybe some of these terms have local meanings. We need to be sure we understand what you are saying.

If your truck is cranking slow, then the obvious places to look are the starting circuit--batteries, and cables, and as Gary ( EMD Driver) knows, the starter itself. ( If they get hot, they are suspicious)

If it is cranking OK, but hard to start, the obvious ( and cheap) places to look are glow plug system, and air in the fuel.

When my IP died, the engine it would start and run fine, but after it got up to temperature, it would slowly lose power until I shut it off for a minute or two. Then it would restart and run fine for a while. The running time between losses of power got shorter and shorter. Replacing the pump fixed the problem.

I would check carefully for fuel leaks. Adding an electric fuel pump and by-passing the mechanical one is the best cheap modification for these trucks. The reason is that this puts the fuel under pressure from the new pump to the IP. As originally designed, the fuel was pulled by vacuum until it got all the way to the right front corner of the engine where the pump is located. If you have some minor cracks in your fuel line, the suction of the fuel pump will pull air into the fuel line. Vacuum leaks are almost impossible to see.
Pressurizing the system with an electric pump will cause any leaks to become obvious because you will see the fuel leak. Not only that, but minor cracks that will allow air to enter under suction will not be large enough to let fuel leak out.

As a diagnostic, try this--
Try to park your truck with the front downhill. This should allow gravity to keep the fuel lines full as the fuel level in the tank is higher than the IP. Then intentionally park with the nose of the truck uphill.
If it starts regularly with the nose downhill, but is hard to start with the nose uphill, then you have air leaks. Replace the fuel return lines, caps, and O rings, or get the electric fuel pump, or both.

If it continues to be hard to start in both circumstances, verify the operation of the glow plugs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So.... Tanya.. Can we get an update on this issue you are having? I'm interested in what you found out so far....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin