Need advice

powerhungry07

Reaction score

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not as familiar with the 3rd gens but i would test drive and see if the tranny shifts well and see what the fluid looks like, also check and see what kind of shape the front end is in. Also i believe some of the 3rd gens had a problem with a hole gettin rubbed somewhere in the 4th injector line.

-Jordan-

f250ap

Reaction score
The cool thing about Cummins is there is tons of after market stuff for them and there pretty easy and cheap to hot rod if you can get a good deal on it I say go for it

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the drivers side of the trans,just above the tranny line going into the case there is a hex head bolt for the ft band.DO NOT purchase the truck if the band has not been adjusted or until the dealer adjusts it for you so you can see how much lining is still on the band.If the adjustment bolt goes clear in the case or almost flush with the jam nut,the ft band is shot.Band adjustment is reg maint in the manual.

winger

Reaction score
If its high mileage, ya definitely look at the tranny, they work ok under stock power conditions. You may be looking at injectors in the near future if its around 150-200k, injector will run you around $2500 for a set of good stock ones. And i think that year had issues with the in tank fuel pumps. Besides those 3 items there are no other major things to look at. If it has a CAI and a Cat Back, there is a good chance the previous owner had a programmer on it, so definitely look hard at that tranny.