need advice

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I had lost a glow plug the other morning. When I went out to start the truck, it took alot longer to start and when it finally did, had a lot of white smoke and alot of knocking from one of the cylinders. In the past on previous diesels, anytime I had a plug burnout I had the same symptoms. So I went down and bought new plugs but when I pulled my old Berus out, they all tested fine, so I put them back in. I also completely unhooked the harness and continuity tested everything and all connectors tested fine.

So now here I am, this truck is a ****** to start in the morning, alot of cranking and lots of white smoke and knocking. The rest of the day, the truck starts and runs excellent with little visible smoke.

I am wondering if I have an injector that is leaking down overnight? Before I start condeming parts, I just want some opinions on it. Thanks Kenny

86 6.9

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Sounds like your loosing the prime on the fuel system over night. Return line caps possibly.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
try and isolate it down to one cylinder. an infared thermometer pointed at the exhaust manifold where it connects to the head is a good idea, or for a cheaper route, use a crayon and mark each manifold at the head. start it and see which one melts last. then you can crack that injector line and see if its air or the "heat" in that cylinder.

punk

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your loosing the prime on the fuel system over night. Return line caps possibly.

I changed the return caps out a few months ago. I plugged the truck in last night to see what kind of difference it would make this morning, damn thing started as soon as I hit the key.

I do have the early style glow plug setup but it all seems to work o.k. I am going to throw a manual push button on it today and see how it does tomorrow.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Wired in a manual glow plug switch las night. Went out this morning, hit the switch for 10 seconds, truck fired right up.

Now, what has me wondering is why all of a sudden the stock setup cant start the truck when it did just fine before? All I can wonder is something in the fuel system is wearing out, whether it be injectors or injection pump. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it does.

The first thing I guess I will do is update to the later glow plug system.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here I am back to step one again. I went out to start this thing this morning and it's still doing the same thing. One thing I meant to mention is that as soon as I start cranking it over, it runs over itself, kinda like when a gas engine is timed wrong. Wants to start but wont.

Would advancing the timing a little help this? What exactly do I need to do to adjust it? I have no problem getting a new pump for this thing but I need to buy a little more time first. Thanks