Need advice about low compression

funky at best

Reaction score
Hey all! Im new to this forum stuff, so sorry if I do any of this wrong.

So here it is. I got a '91 7.3 IDI. I noticed a "puffing" coming from the exhaust at idle, so I did a compression test. I had 420lbs on 2 cylinders, 390lbs on 4, 360 on 1, and 200 on the last one. I understand these motors have a habit of rod guides wearing out. I'm assuming for now that that is it.
Here are my questions;
1. is the range of the other cylinders (360 to 420) bad, or normal?
2. How difficult a job is it to pull the head(s) and do the valve work at home? I have never done any type of engine rebuild, although I do all my own maintenance and almost all repair work, and am very mechanically inclined. I can rebuild carbs and that sort of thing, but the farthest I've ever gotten on a motor was the intake manifold. I'm sure of course I'll have to take the head to a machine shop to get milled and have the valve guides pressed and stuff, but I'm wondering if I should just take the whole dame thing in and let a pro handle it.
3 Does anyone have a machine shop in the Santa Cruz Co./Bay area that they trust?

I've had bad luck with shops, and don't really trust them. But having no rebuild experience, I am worried about getting in over my head and taking a freaking month to do a job that a shop could do in a day or two!:dunno

Thank to all in advance!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Im new to this forum stuff, so sorry if I do any of this wrong.

So here it is. I got a '91 7.3 IDI. I noticed a "puffing" coming from the exhaust at idle, so I did a compression test. I had 420lbs on 2 cylinders, 390lbs on 4, 360 on 1, and 200 on the last one. I understand these motors have a habit of rod guides wearing out. I'm assuming for now that that is it.
Here are my questions;
1. is the range of the other cylinders (360 to 420) bad, or normal?
2. How difficult a job is it to pull the head(s) and do the valve work at home? I have never done any type of engine rebuild, although I do all my own maintenance and almost all repair work, and am very mechanically inclined. I can rebuild carbs and that sort of thing, but the farthest I've ever gotten on a motor was the intake manifold. I'm sure of course I'll have to take the head to a machine shop to get milled and have the valve guides pressed and stuff, but I'm wondering if I should just take the whole dame thing in and let a pro handle it.
3 Does anyone have a machine shop in the Santa Cruz Co./Bay area that they trust?

I've had bad luck with shops, and don't really trust them. But having no rebuild experience, I am worried about getting in over my head and taking a freaking month to do a job that a shop could do in a day or two!:dunno

Thank to all in advance!
go on CL. find a truck with a motor you can hear run and check for blowby. a truck with body damage and bad reg would be ideal for a good motor donor. buy it. pay someone to pull out good motor and swap it into your truck with motor issues. you'll be money ahead when done.