Need a timing adapter

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I lost the timing adapter off of my #1 injector tonight while replacing a broken injector cap. I've looked everwhere for it. Must be stuck in the engine bay somewhere, that I can't see it. Anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks,
Mark

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
They are not really required but. To de56lete them you need the number one hard line from a van. they are longer on the vans because the van timing fitting is located on number 4 hard line and injector. Sad part is these are not magnetic. I'm betting it fell down under the intake manifold and rolled towards the back. If you DO NOT have a turbo on this engine it will be easy to see and remove.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just need it fixed asap as its my daily driver. I'm considering trying to bend the line down a little farther and just connecting straight to the injector. I'm just worried that I will end up kinking the line as that seems to be my luck lately.

My truck is N/A, so it's easy to see. I looked there but couldn't see it. Even took a cloths hanger and swept underneath the intake trying to feel for it. No joy.

When I dropped it, it landed on the intake cover and stopped. I had to reposition to get to it, and when I did, I heard *tink* *tink* and it was gone. I'm betting it rolled off towards the fender and down towards the tie bars, but I had no luck finding it either way. Even used the starter to roll the truck back a few feet.

The kicker is that I have a 2000 crew cab sitting in the driveway that will end up replacing this truck. Unfortunately the ball joints are shot and it has an issue with the brakes that I need to track down. If it weren't for the brake issue, I would drive it for a few days instead of having to go rent a car.

gandalf

Reaction score
Bending, and possibly kinking, an injector hard line might not be the best of ideas. Will it work, if you don't kink the line? Yes, it will work to make the engine run. However...

However, doing so will affect the effective timing of the engine, for that one cylinder. That one cylinder will fire slightly early. The timing is controlled very precisely by the injector pump. I believe that all the injector hard lines are the same length, though I haven't actually measured them. If one line is shorter than the others then the fuel put into that line will enter the cylinder slightly earlier, relatively speaking, than the other cylinders. This will affect that one cylinder, making it act slightly differently.

That, anyway, is my understanding. How drastically this will affect the running of the engine, I don't really know.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I'm "hearing" it advances the timing by approx. 1/2 a degree. How reliable is that info??? Will I kink it instead???? I'm told that I could replace it with a #4 line from an E series, but I see that as being a REAL PITA compared to just bending the line down, and bending it is FREE. If I kink it, I'm into the #4 option. My preference would be able to put the adapter in there and leave it stock. Time to call the local stealership.

gandalf

Reaction score
From what I'm "hearing" it advances the timing by approx. 1/2 a degree. How reliable is that info??? Will I kink it instead???? I'm told that I could replace it with a #4 line from an E series, but I see that as being a REAL PITA compared to just bending the line down, and bending it is FREE. If I kink it, I'm into the #4 option. My preference would be able to put the adapter in there and leave it stock. Time to call the local stealership.

I think you misread what Gary said. The timing adapter on a truck is on cylinder #1. The timing adapter on a van is on cylinder #4. Therefore, if you take the hard line from cylinder #1 on a van and place it on cylinder #1 on a truck you will have the correct length hard line on cylinder #1. The hard line from a van cylinder #4 will not fit on a truck cylinder #1.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you misread what Gary said. The timing adapter on a truck is on cylinder #1. The timing adapter on a van is on cylinder #4. Therefore, if you take the hard line from cylinder #1 on a van and place it on cylinder #1 on a truck you will have the correct length hard line on cylinder #1. The hard line from a van cylinder #4 will not fit on a truck cylinder #1.

You are correct, I did misunderstand that. The sad thing is that I've read it from multiple places, and misunderstood it every time. Didn't make sense how a #4 line be used for a #1 injector. Makes a LOT more sense now.

Thanks!!!

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the dealership is able to get these. They are officially called a Fuel Injector Timing Sensor, P/N E8TZ9F838A. Parts department gave me a price, and based on my reaction they offered me a pretty decent discount and brought the price down to an even $300. Ouch!! I was able to reach a buddy of mine who's had a 6.9 parked in his barn lot since 2007 (engine locked up), and he offered to let me come pull the one off his. I'm going to go that route.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, turns out my friends old 6.9L didn't have an adapter on it. Surprising since it didn't even have 100K on it when he parked it in the barn lot. So I tweeked the line and made it work without the adapter. Truck starts and seems to run fine. I'd still like to find and adapter for it though. Time to start calling junk yards.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Autozone and Advance Auto still sell this part. Not sure about NAPA, but Oreilly's doesn't show it. They call it a Fuel Injector Timing Sensor, and they sell it for $150 which is half of what the dealership was willing to sell it to me for ($300).