Need a Radiator

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Ok. So the radiator in my wife's truck has been leaking slowly for a couple of months. Now it spews (tank/core joint) and is not driveable. For it's age I just want to replace it, not repair it. So I call up my local Ford parts emporium and they quote me $525 for a new one. Although I would prefer the Ford part, that seems a little over the top. My out the door price would probably be less than that with my discount, but I want to explore other options. So what suppliers/manufacturers of radiators are you guys using. I just want a good quality drop-in stock replacement. I don't want to experiment, modify, or fabricate. Any help, direction, or options would be appreciated.

Tom

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Modine radiator in my truck that I've been using for about 2 years now. I haven't really loaded my truck heavily since installing it, but I haven't had any problems with my coolant temps.

If you're desperate for a radiator, I still have my old one (need to get rid of it one way or another pretty soon, though). There was a pinhole that was rather messily soldered shut, but it holds pressure just fine :thumbsup:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Modine radiator in my truck that I've been using for about 2 years now.

Where did you come by a genuine MODINE??

Is it a direct drop-in bolt-in same size replacement for the original??

Has anyone used the $350 ReadyRad one from Advance??

It is exactly the same shape/size and a direct bolt-in.

I, too, am probably pushing my ancient radiator to it's limits.

I meant to install a new one last spring, and a whole year has passed with the old one still in there.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have used the readyrad from advanced on my old truck. it has been in there about 2 yrs now and is fine. the guy i sold the truck to (brother in law) has even been running without the fan because the clutch went out for the past 6 months or so and has no overheating problems. direct bolt in and the cheepest price i could find at that tight finacail point in time. i am not claiming they are the best but have worked well for me.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have a modine in mine I bought it in PA 4 or 4 years ago -replaced it on the gold lifetime warrenty once since then(no problems went through a NAPA dealer to honor the warrenty. The first time it was weeping from the tanke to core seams-now it is weaping again from the tank to core seams again.Seems that in my older truck I had the same tinhg.Any body got any ideas whay so many tank to core seam problems in 2 different trucks? I use fleet gaurd ELC. Thank God for the lifetime warrenty.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the MODINE may not be so good as they used to be.

But then, nothing is any more.
:confused:

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel Radiator

I bought one from a parts house for my '93 IDI. It was sold to the distributor by Spectra Industries. Even though it is made in China, I was impressed with the quality. Perfect fit - thick material, etc. OEM quality as far as I could tell. I paid roughly 400 for it and have been happy for the 3 months I've had it in the truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Replacing the core is about the cheapest way to go. If you buy a replacement or recore just make sure you are getting the same number of rows, tubes and fins per inch on each tube. Otherwise you will not be happy with the replacement. Usually 16 fins per inch is about the best you can find. Usually 12 fins per inch is what most get. A 4 row will cool better than a 3 row dimple core even though the dimple core tubes are much wider. Contact area and fins per inch determine how well it cools.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
So far my search has led me to the NAPA unit which is a 4 row Modine at $368. That's more in-line with the price I thought it should be. Don't know about the number of tubes, and fins per inch though until I pursue it further with NAPA. I guess beggers can't be choosy and I'm limited to what's available, whether it's the best it could be or not. Still open to ideas though.;Really

Tom

Last edited:

dualexhaust

Reaction score
FYI-A company called Proliance now owns markets the Ready-Rad and Modine brands. So if anyone is telling you that they are selling Proliance, Ready-Rad, or Modine it is the same radiator.
I just picked up a PROLIANCE Part #432194 through Rock-Auto for the best price I could find of $263.79 plus shipping. I don't know what exact shipping was (wasn't that expensive though) because I ordered a new thermostat, hoses, and thermostat housing also.
This is the 4-core 24" wide X 31" tall core radiator. I measured the fin count last night and there are 16 fins per inch, but didn't have a flashlight so I couldn't tell if it is a dimple core, but probably isn't.
The unit looks to be quality. Time will tell. I hope to get this all switched out in the next few weeks in my rig, just in time for summer.;Sweet

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Are you looking for a new one, or will a good used one do? I have the one out of my '90 F350 donor truck that is available, $100+shipping.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, I picked mine up from the local radiator shop. New, for less than $300. Do not forget about those guys..