need a pair of A/T steer tires, throw in some suggestions pls

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is a 4x4 dually. It either runs low speed empty down dirt/gravel roads, or 55mph at 11k on the interstate for thousands of miles at a time. Occasionally gets taken out way into the woods (cause camping in campgrounds really ain't no camping at all). Very little towing, nothing in the CDL realms. Mud tires not needed, but good rain/snow/ice traction is mandatory.

Currently running Grabber AT2s on the rear axe - they seem to wear like iron, and with just a factory limited slip diff truck is capable of conquering wet grassy fields (the bane of every dually) without much trouble. Haven't felt them hydroplane in heavy rains, but with ABS it's hard to tell anyways. Haven't been really stuck either (driver errors do not count). In wintertime they just go, no slip 'n slide joys. Rubbing the sidewalls on rocks/curbs/trees does not seem to faze them one bit either. Overall I'm quite happy with them as rear tires. No experience on the steer axle tho.

Have some experience with Commercial DuraTracs - can't say I'm deeply impressed, maybe I just had too high expectations based on online reviews, but in snow a SRW truck running them did about as good as my dually with the Grabbers, both trucks being in 2wd mode. And supposedly they have soft sidewalls, so theoretically less than ideal for steer duty.

Also considering BFG Commercial T/As, lots of folks reviewing them on TireRack run them on fullsize trucks and seem happy about them. Same with Toyo Open Country A/T 2...

Heck I'm even looking at the Altimax Arctic LT by General - all cause of its ridiculous winter traction. Snow in all its forms is more of a concern than mud for me really, I don't go mudding per se, but mountain passes and northern roads are a whole different matter. Just not sure how fast such dedicated winter tires would wear, they will have exactly 2200 lbs of load each and speeds are fairly low as well (55mh is my cruise) but still they'd see lots and lots of stupid-hot southern miles...

So, does anyone here have any good/bad experiences with any of those as steer tires on a heavy 4x4 truck they'd like to share? Or suggestions that are not Michelins or M55 Toyos? Size would be 235/85-16E by the way, nothing high-flotation. Thanks!

Ramzilla

Reaction score
Currently running Grabber AT2s on the rear axe - they seem to wear like iron, and with just a factory limited slip diff truck is capable of conquering wet grassy fields (the bane of every dually) without much trouble. Haven't felt them hydroplane in heavy rains, but with ABS it's hard to tell anyways. Haven't been really stuck either (driver errors do not count). In wintertime they just go, no slip 'n slide joys. Rubbing the sidewalls on rocks/curbs/trees does not seem to faze them one bit either. Overall I'm quite happy with them as rear tires. No experience on the steer axle tho.

I had these all the way around on my old truck and liked them. They lasted very good and went well. Granted my old truck wasn't a dually and I kept them rotated. Stay away from the Nitto Terra Crapps.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Hercules Terra Trac A/T's on the Sulaco and they do very well in loose soil and mud. the tread pattern is the same as Yokohama Geolander A/T but the lugs are a little deeper and not as pricey. We had a unusually dry winter so I can't comment yet on the backcountry muddy road performance. i'm looking forward to seeing what they can do on muddy fire trails, since I am building two F350 recovery trucks to replace my F450's next year.