Mysterious stall, then no start

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
The truck in question is a 1997 7.3 with e4od.

This truck was converted with a frybrid WVO kit about 40k miles ago. It's been super reliable. My friend complained about a small fuel leak from under the rear of the engine, in particular when parking uphill. He was concerned that maybe it was his mechanical lift pump.
I removed the fuel filter housing and the splitter for the turbo to get access to the lift pump. Everything seemed fine, no visible leaking other than some spilled fuel from filter changes in the valley. I reconnected everything and restarted the truck. It started easily and idled for a minute or so. Sounded like it kicked down from high idle, them began to run rough, made a slight "clacking" noise and stalled. I tried to restart-nogo!
I looked at the filter etc to see if something was unattached. I had mistakenly pinched the flexible line from the diesel tank to the lift pump. I rerouted it, verified that the filter housing was empty, pored some fresh diesel in the housing and tried to restart. Still no go.
The tach shows the engine turning over while cranking. An OBDII scanner shows no codes, and displays data from the ecu indictaing fuel pressure etc.
I'm stumped, grumpy, and tired:mad:
What are the common things that would cause this? Thanks

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Are you sure that you cranked it enough to get the fuel up to the injection pump? Reason I ask is I have had a buddy of mine call me a couple of times after he has changed fuel filters and had trouble restarting it and I told him to keep cranking but allowing time for the starter to cool - each time he called back about 20 mins later and said it was running and doing fine.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
I have cranked the **** out of it! It helps that it's in the bay at frybrid attached to their big bad battery charger. ;Sweet
I really feel like it's some kind of electrical fault from laying on the engine wrenching things...sigh.
I've been busy riding my bike check out www.rapha.cc/continental for some of the details and some lovely photos of me nearly killing myself:eek:

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Well for future reference, check all the electrical connections if the truck won't start:idiot:
I confused myself by thinking that the strange sounds the truck made as it ran out of fuel were dire. As it turned out I must have layed a little too ******* a connection while rerouting the pinched line. I unplugged/replugged the connection and presto starto!