My Moosed weekend project

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well for starters it really hasn't been just one weekends project, but basically it's almost the only time when i have a chance to do anything.

Before i start writing anything i have to use this opportunity to thank Agnem and of cource sle2115 who provided a core for Mel to work with. I know i live almost half way across the world in your point of view, but these guys did a great job to made all possible, so thanks again :hail .

So like i wrote i had a little project to make some little service to my truck. It has done about 149 000 miles now and all started when i noticed that some injectors were shot. So i ordered from Mel a set of injectors and a MOOSE pump. I figured while i'm doing the service it's the same that i'll take the turbo off as well and have it serviced and put the ATS-upgrade parts to it. When almost everything was away from the valve covers i also changed the gasgets and that was really a PITA, because there wasn't too much room to deal with. This was the first time that i have taken these parts from these engines, so you can guess that it wasn't the easiest job especially the injection pump, but now it doesn't feel that complicated anymore and ip was much more easier than i thought it would be, so i guess saying live and learn is true.

So this was the starting overview, dirt almost everywhere and it felt like a huge project.

You must be registered for see images attach

For a big handed these turbo pedestial bolts aren't very fun to take off

Here's a little cleaned up valve cover and how things looked inside of it

Then one day a guy from fedex brought a package from Mel and it contained some goodies :sly

Turbo comparison and after rebuild. Turbo wasn't in bad condition, but bearings were changed just so that i don't have to take it off in any time soon.

Old G-code injectors and new Delphi BB-code, i think those injectors in a pic were ok, but from cylinders #1 and #8 injectors were totally shot and probably have leaked pretty bad. I haven't had a chance to take them to some shop where i could see just how bad they were.

Injectors and return line kit installed

Now things are at this stage. Yesterday i got a first smoke with the new pump etc. Few cranks to bleed the system and after bleeding turned the ignition key and it started almost immediately at first start :thumbsup: .

Now i'm only waiting the turbo grommet. The older grommet is fine other that few cracks on top of it. It might go for a few years, but i wouldn't want take everything off just because the old grommet is falling apart...

I'll give you guys a comment of how my truck is running after i'll get the turbo on again and can drive it. You can probably guess that it feels like forever, when you are waiting for a test drive...

- kpj

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Schaweeet!:thumbsup:
Yer gonna think you're in a different truck with the new found power from the upgrade and freshening.;Sweet

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Schaweeet!:thumbsup:
Yer gonna think you're in a different truck with the new found power from the upgrade and freshening.;Sweet

I'm hoping that too. I did a little 0-62 mph test to see how fast it accelerates now and i'll do the same test after truck is running with these mods...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Your definitely going to love the ATS upgrade too. If you still have a muffler on that truck, delete it, so that you can hear the best whistle. ;Sweet The project looks like it is coming along perfectly. :hail

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, straight piped it last summer :sly , now with downpipe upgrade going from 3" to 4" pipe, just can't wait to hear the sound it makes after this...

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
its just like Christmas in June when the fed ex guy comes around

cant wait to hear some performance results

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
Sweet upgrade;Sweet, I whish I wouldve put the ats exhaust housing on my turbo when I did the outlet and downpipe.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool!!! Can't wait to hear the results!!

BTW, kpj, I just sent you a private message....thank you for your time :)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really nice upgrades your doing. The sound when you get it running will be a deep thunder type sound. Plus the turbo whistle echoing off a wall driving down the road will make you smile plenty. Just have the passenger side window rolled down for the best sound effects.:sly;Sweet

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your comments ;Sweet . Yep, christmas in June is probably even a little understatement what i'm feeling now, looking like :D all the time. And day got even better when i heard that i don't have to put the turbo back on with the old grommet, because Typ4 wrote that he can send it to me, so THANKS to him also.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, Now it seems that there's light at the end of the tunnel. Today I received the grommet and other seals that Typ4 :hail sent. Now there is really big chance that i can hear my whistling truck this weekend, if everything goes ok :D .

What comes to exhaust, i got these two flanges machined and bought a clamp for them so i can get the new downpipe removed as easily as it can possibly be if i need to. Exhaust pipe slips into the flange and when you tighten the clamp it presses the flanges harder together, so the fumes should stay inside. At first i thougt i put one of those flanges to turbo outlet too so i can get rid off the slip fit joint, but now when i had all the parts in hand, i noticed there might be some clearance issues between the up-pipe and the downpipe, so now i'll stick with the slip fit even though it might be difficult to wiggle it out when and if i need to...

flange with the clamp:

clamp:

-kpj

tractorman86

Reaction score
where do you get those?! i need one for my 94 factory turbo so i can build a down pipe and finally put it on my truck

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the flanges machined and bought the clamp from a local truck strore. There is complete sets available also, but they cost more. For example Summit racing ( Link! ) has those, but you might get them cheaper somewhere else. But those are worth every penny if you want to take off the exhaust for some reason. There's no additional hassle, just loose the bolt and exhaust is free to be removed...

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So finally everything looks like this.

It was a hard weekend again to work with the truck, but in the end it reallly paid off. The ATS downpipe support bracket was a little drawback, because the support bracket that it has didn't fit at all.

Comparision of my made bracket and the one that comes with the downpipe

And this is how it attaches to the transmission

Downpipe joint to the rest of the exhaust

All in all everything got finished yesterday, but just didn't have time to write anything. So i have been driving around one full day now and o' boy o' boy what a difference. First of all at startup it isn't anymore a freight train starting. No more clouds of smoke coming out the exhaust :thumbsup: and the startup is instant and i really mean instant, i can barely turn the key before it fires right up.

And what comes to that ATS upgrade, I REALLY REALLY love the sound it makes now. Basically you can't drive steady for a long time, you have to push the pedal to get whistling going louder.

Last but not least the pump...My old pump wasn't really that bad, but the difference to MOOSE pump is huge :love: . I haven't done any acceleration test yet (will do it soon), but when you push the pedal it really pushes you to the back of your seat and the power is there all the way through the speedo gauge (to about 80 mph). It really doesn't feel anymore that you are driving in a 3 ton (kg) truck, it feels like a passenger vehicle accelerating. What i was a bit affraid before started it the first time, that it would make too huge black smoke, because i don't have a intercooler yet, but it doesn't even smoke too badly. In low revs yes, but when the turbo kicks in there isn't too much of it. Now only thing that i have to worry is that i don't go over the speed limit too much, so that the coppers doesn't give me ticket :sly . Pyro is reading from 380 F to 600 in normal driving and i even did a full throttle test accelerating from almost zero (1st gear on) to 75 mph in a little uphill and the pyro only went to 1080 F so it's holding EGT down pretty well also :thumbsup: . Pyro probe is located to the drivers side about 1,5 inch from the flange:

But for the moment i have only made the static timing and am looking for a place who can do the timing and hopefully it will get little sharper after that too. So if you have to do some fuel service or just want have more POWER i REALLY can recommend these to all, my MOOSE pump was stated as the most expensive MOOSE pump rebuild so far, but all i can say it makes you :D :rotflmao LOL :love: :sly ;Really everytime you go driving it...

I will write updates when i'll do the acceleration test and also post some pics when all is in their rightful place (gauges etc.)

- kpj