My glow plugs are on for 30 seconds!

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I made a vid of a cold start, sort of. It was about 40* outside and the truck had been sitting for 2 days. The extra light on my dash is connected to the side of the GP relay that send the power to the plugs. The light stays on for about 30 seconds. That doesn't seem good, my plugs are MC/Beru's, only a couple months old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3cgcJkdHgY

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the ground for the controller, you must have a good connection there else it will glow the plugs longer than needed and burn plugs eventually.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Ok, I'm planning on replacing my split exhaust manifold tomorrow so I will check the ground out.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Wind kept me inside but I did manage to take a quick look at the controller. Where does it ground at? Does the case ground to where it attaches to the intake or does a wire run from the controller to somewhere else?

Since I didn't get to change my manifold, I did clean it up. I used a flapper wheel to remove the soot and a tap to clean out the threads. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're looking for a thin black wire coming out of the controller, since you have a turbo I'm not sure what that wire is grounded to tho...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your batteries are really low you could see longer than normal glow times. The lower voltage will cause the plugs to heat more slowly. Make sure your batteries are up to *****.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Batteries should be good, got 2 new 1000CA units in october. I guess that doesn't really mean anything though. I'll test them just in case the next time I'm at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk