My first tow

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did that once, and man did I feel like a *******, ran that way almost 30 miles till I stopped for fuel and smelled the hot brakes.

Did that, went to Alaska with my GF and she would always put the E brake on, 3 times it happened, the damn Brake Lite is hid by the steering wheel cross bar, should be at the top.

diesellawnman

Reaction score
I have a 1989 F-350 1 ton long bed crew cab with a entirely re worked 6.9 (the 7.3 it came with cavitated the # 8 cylinder) engine including IP, injectors pretty much everything on the truck is new. I paid $3,800 for the truck and I now have over 12k into it so you can imagine whats been done. Everything is stock but the exhaust is a 4 in. I think I have a turbo IP because she will deffienetly roll some coal. To get down to the point of me posting this, I tried to pull a 24ft enclosed aluminum snowmobile trailer and I couldn't get it above 60 mph on the highway and my pyro was sitting pretty at 1300 degrees. I turned around and got my 01 F-150 with 200k on it and it man handled the trailer. The new motor in the 6.9 only has 5,000 miles on it. ???

Exekiel69

Reaction score
This engines are not hot rods but they will pull pretty much any load a new truck will pull just not at the same speed. That being said, that shed shouldn't put so much strain on the engine, I'm sure there are several issues to be addressed that will change it behavior with a load completely once repaired. There is also turbo kits You can install on this engines that will wake up the engine so much You wont recognize it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
What rpm where you turning her up to? If your lift pump is weeping then it could be sucking air under load - possibly affecting the power.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have a 1989 F-350 1 ton long bed crew cab with a entirely re worked 6.9 (the 7.3 it came with cavitated the # 8 cylinder) engine including IP, injectors pretty much everything on the truck is new. I paid $3,800 for the truck and I now have over 12k into it so you can imagine whats been done. Everything is stock but the exhaust is a 4 in. I think I have a turbo IP because she will deffienetly roll some coal. To get down to the point of me posting this, I tried to pull a 24ft enclosed aluminum snowmobile trailer and I couldn't get it above 60 mph on the highway and my pyro was sitting pretty at 1300 degrees. I turned around and got my 01 F-150 with 200k on it and it man handled the trailer. The new motor in the 6.9 only has 5,000 miles on it. ???

Well the 6.9 is 170HP and the F150 is 5.4 is 280HP. Just a slight difference.

Also may be how you have your diesel set up

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well the 6.9 is 170HP and the F150 is 5.4 is 280HP. Just a slight difference.

Also may be how you have your diesel set up

Exactly, but what rearend gears are in the diesel. 2100 at 55 sound slike 4.10's to me. It should have pulled a lot better than that!!!

Hard to say what is going on there, but something is definitly wrong.

I hauled a good sized camper last summer with NO issues and only 3.55's in the rears. That thing don't look big, but it was LOADED down with supplies, water tank and spare parts.....and it was a 1976 to begin with....HEAVY. I had no problems running upto 70 -75 MPH to get some speed for the big hills....even then, I barely dropped to 55MPH.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online