My first IDI

Honkzilla

Reaction score
I just bought my first IDI. I have a 1988 F150 w/ a 302 that has over 500,000 miles (95% original, I know, amazing) that started giving me more trouble than it's worth, so I started looking for a pickup. My commute is 20 miles one way and I wanted another good ole pickup to last a loooong time (spoiled by the f150). I'm a research fanatic, after weeks of research I decided on IDI. I scoured craigslist for weeks while lurking on IDI forums just reading. I finally found one, and only 500 miles away. After talking to the seller quite a few times, I made the leap, bought a plane ticket and drove it home this past Sunday.

1992 N/A 5 speed with 147k
You must be registered for see images attach

I plan to tackle all the fluids this weekend, also need to bypass the clutch safety, already tired of having to push my foot through the floor to start it. I got 19.5mpg on the trip home :D. The only two issues I have, the radio reception is crap and the tachometer started flaking out a bit half way home. It worked fine until it randomly started to slowly drop, this was while cruise set on 67, no issues with engine, just tach slowly went down to 0, any suggestions? Anyway, I'm no mechanic, but I'll learn one little project at a time, but hopefully starting out with what seems like a pretty straight pickup I won't have any major undertakings for a bit.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Clutch switch is most likely a worn out pedal assy. Ford still sells them. I can get you the part number. As for the tach, it is the sender. Located on the front of the engine on the injection pump timing cover. Has two wires coming out of it.

Btw, welcome.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB. Nice IDI.

Corey has covered the issues you are having.

Be sure to add DCA to the coolant. A drain and replacement of the coolant would be a good idea if it has been a while. While you have the block drain plugs out, it would be a good time to put in some OkiGringo block drains (just replace the plugs with a drain ****). It makes this job much easier down the road.

Heath

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site.
we're here to help you spend your hard earned money :D
want proof?
check out this thread on how to fix your clutch pedal issues......

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?39105-why-OBS-clutch-pedal-brackets-sucks

there's pics of the old and new and why you want to go new.
there's even a pic of the box top with the factory part number :D

see.
i told ya we're bad. :D

nice truck btw...bolt-action SC 4x4's are always a winner in my book.;Sweet

Honkzilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It looks like a new assembly is the best route to take by far. Maybe I can add that to my list for this weekend if the part gets here in time.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the best idi forum on the net. Your in the same place many of us were long ago about whats gong on with these trucks and engines. The above posting are a great start. I will add this to the coolant change. Use distilled water instead of tap water. Most tap water has so much mineral issues in it and those minerals will plate out or drop out and ruin a good radiater. Distilled water is safe plus its non conductive so electroliss is not a problem either... Welcome once again and nice looking truck..:thumbsup:

Honkzilla

Reaction score
Rained most of the day here, didn't get anything done that I had planned :( My local napa didn't have a low silicate green coolant, so I picked up 4 gallons of Fleetcharge. The coolant that's in it currently looks nice and clean, should I do a real thorough flush or just drain using block drains and refill? Also any tips for filling the trans and transfer case? I attribute the longevity of the F150 to Mobil1, so that's the ATF I purchased. Just from a quick crawl under it didn't look like I'd have much room for a funnel, is there a small hand pump or something that might make it easier?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tach sender is a dealer part - like $75-$85 if I remember right. You could try taking yours out and cleaning it up and see if that helps before you buy a new one. When I removed mine, the end of it was very black so it couldn't read through that gunk.

Honkzilla

Reaction score
I got the tach sender and the pedals replaced finally this past weekend. Pedals weren't too bad of a job even considering my extremely novice mechanic skills. Swapped the custom rear bumper from my old F150 and added a RV plug, also took off the running boards and found a grille guard on craigslist. Once I get the grille guard cleaned up, painted and installed, new tires and smaller powder coated side steps on I'll re-up some pics. I'd say I've been bitten by the bug. I blame y'all. :backoff Good times though, I'm really enjoying the new pickup.

Honkzilla

Reaction score
Is this old pedal assembly worth anything? After really looking at it, the wear is very minimal, even on the the little clutch pedal arm. Should I put new bushings in and attempt to sell it or keep it as a spare even though I replaced with new part and did the heim joint mod?

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice truck! What part of Oklahoma are you in? I have friends in Mangum,Altus and Granite.

Honkzilla

Reaction score
The Pleasant Surprise

Last week I bought new tires, the ones on the truck were pretty weather cracked. So I figured this was the time to do something about the wheels since I didn't have to worry about taping off tires and whatnot. What I had thought was rust, was just years of dirt apparently. My plan was to clean, scuff, self etching primer, and paint my wheels black, but after I took a cup brush and my drill to them, there was no way I could paint them. See for yourself below, same wheels from the first post pic, they cleaned up great, I couldn't believe it, so I cleaned up and painted the hubs, put the freshly cleaned wheels back on and got the tires mounted.

Link to the cup brush I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VA7WUA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If only that little brush could wipe away the little bit of body rust. :sly

Attachments

• F250.JPG
    F250.JPG
    558.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online