my dyno numbers are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is the reason why "dyno days" are so popular. Everybody runs on the same dyno, the same day, under the same conditions. Someone emerges as the leader of THAT group who showed up. There could be another dyno day somewhere else, and the leader from that group versus the other group cannot be compared fairly. The Mason-Dixon turbo club runs a huge dyno day in Dillsburg twice a year, and they get 50 or more trucks that show up. Most are Dodges with a smattering of others thrown in. The numbers are all reasonably close considering the mods that are in place. I've seen it time and time again. Do the same mods. Get the same results. It's the best way to know what works and what doesn't. I think the real lesson here is don't go it alone when doing the dyno. There is safety in numbers as they say. And you get more respect if a bunch of other trucks run with you, and everybody there can say "Yup, we saw him do it!". I'm hosting a dyno as part of the 2011 IDI Weekend, and I hope we get to play with the timing a little bit to see how it affects the numbers. And yes, we will be using the same timing meter. ;Really

Are you planning on doing some before and after dyno runs when setting the timing on different trucks? That would help on figuring out how timing affects performance numbers.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Well, forgive me if I come off strong here, but I want to say something.

The factory turbo trucks were outfitted with an 093 turbo, correct?

If that is the case, and I can get the time to get off my @$$ and go get that engine from Bigrigtech...then we will have a candidate for a true claim comparison.

I am willing to shell out the $1500 investment that NMB2 has invested in his engine. I am willing to follow the same build blueprints, but with 2 changes.

I want to install an intercooler. I don't pound on my truck often, but when I do decide I wanna hook up with a PSD, I won't blow my truck apart with high EGT's trying to stay in front....or keep up.. lol.

Second, I WANT a typ4 cam...no questions asked! These are PROVEN power adders, and I can't say no to that!!

If I can put down those kinds of numbers, with a similar build...would that put things to rest?

I don't wanna see a HUGE brawl over some numbers on this board. I would like to think that you guys are there for not only me, bot everyone should things take a turn for the worst.

I might even buy the T04Z and install it at a later date, see if it makes a difference. But for now lets just rebearing that turbo and leave it alone until I can get things put back together...

I would hate to see the exchange rate mess up the numbers,..

;Really

Sorry,.couldn't resist,...:D

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
MMB2, That sheet says :point max HP is 190. Where do you see 321rwhp?

My truck was dyno'd on a Mustang dyno. Mustang dyno's are much more accurate to real world power than DynoJet's, which are very well known to put out inflated numbers. For this reason Mustang dyno's have a "Dynojet corrected #" for reference between the two.

http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ction/26743-mustang-vs-dynojet-good-read.html

Black line is torque
Green line is horsepower
red line is boost

Corrected output numbers:

321rwhp @ 3200
558rwtq @ 2200

My dyno sheet pull video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4xnCWBl_PU

Mustang Dyno sheet is here :
You must be registered for see images attach

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
MMB2, That sheet says :point max HP is 190. Where do you see 321rwhp?

obviously you missed something. the HP numbers has been half of the discussion. No crank sensor = machine doesnt know real RPM to calculate HP. The HP curve is correct but the actual output number is too low, so you convert the HP number yourself. You quoted the formula.......

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
NMB2, I hope you made it to Oregon ok, it's getting kinda warm and moist round here.

Ohhh, and please, I hope you understand, no one here is being mean or disrespectful to you. we are like detectives trying to get all this processed. If you want blind adulation, I can give you a link to The Diesel Stop.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I am in Moab, Utah right now.

Just so my words cannot get twisted, I'll post this here.

hesutton said:
I'm sending this via PM as I'm just as sick reading this crap on the forum as everyone else.

What is with the additude? Seriously? I've never had a problem with you personally. I don't know you, you don't know me. Why are you getting so pissy over a simple debate? I simply disagree with you. That's is. I'm not calling you a bad person, or "ignorant" like you have called me. Really uncalled for buy the way.

Why burn brigdges for no reason? If you keep ******* off folks, you'll get banned and lose all creditablilty here. You don't want that and I don't want that. You've done a great job with your truck, but when unsubstantiated claims are made, they will be challeged here. This isn't TDS.

Listen, I've said it before and still mean it, I have no problem with you personally, its just two different views. Have a good one.

Heath

Firstly, I will tell you that my attitude is probably a mixture of my ambien, and the stress of moving across the country. Now that I'm on the road and fairly calm, I will write this message.

I get pissy over "simple debates" because I provide all of the proof in the world and people like you always have an excuse as to why its not right, or your theory on how it is another way. It gets old. I could care less if you called me a bad person or names, I am from a forum called Pirate4x4, I'm sure you have heard of it, there is nothing you could say to me on here that would hurt my feelings.

Me calling you ignorant is not uncalled for IMO because you are acting ignorant, plain and simple.

You mention that you are writing this because people are sick of reading this crap, This is my first time logging in, in a few days and I have 7 PM's. This one from you, 6 others from older members and newer members agreeing with me, and asking me not to leave, they understand where I am coming from with how some of you are handling this,which they note is typical behavior. So I am not the only one that feels this way.

You mention me ******* people off, you said it youself, we shouldnt get pissed off over a simple debate. So if i shouldnt get pissed, nobody else should, right?:rolleyes:

Not a single one of my claims are unsubstantiated Heath. My claims have 10x more bearing than yours, or anybody elses on this website. I have 5 dyno pulls, videos, 3 cross country trips towing, I pull my offroad truck regularly, and I have a few members that have witnessed my truck.

That is more than ANYONE else here can provide, so for you or anyone else to question me, ****** me off. Do not think for one second I NEED this website, or help from anybody on it. I am on it simply to help members get power from their old IDI, make a few friends, and prove that the cap isnt a measly 200rwhp

EDIT:

Furthermore, I am over the DPS vs Moose debate. I have no desire to swap Moose parts on, or anything like that. As far as I'm concerned this is a total package build that I BUILT, not Ken or DPS, I just use some of his parts. I will not engage in ANY sort of DPS vs Moose debate or anything other than direct questions about my truck/motor. Its not worth it to waste my time arguing about sh*t that doesn't even matter. I won't even entertain the questions anymore, its all a phishing technique.

EDIT AGAIN:

Just thought I would throw this picture up from today beings I am so big on proving stuff. I know there are a majority of people with IDI's that cant do this unloaded, let alone 14,000lbs

thats the elevation showing on my display. That is pulling 5%-7% grades in 5th through new mexico on the 550 earlier today. Strong winds too, and alot of throttle left, power limited by keeping EGT's in check. I could really use an intercooler at this altitude. GPS speedo and gauges dont lie.

(pulling flats, trying not to get tickets, or blow my trailer up lol)

Last edited:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
alot of throttle left, power limited by keeping EGT's in check
Boy I know that feeling. I rarely get to use 1/4 throttle on my truck.

(Figure I'd use this annoying double post feature to comment on your edit).

Last edited:

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
Boy I know that feeling. I rarely get to use 1/4 throttle on my truck.

(Figure I'd use this annoying double post feature to comment on your edit).

No EGT issues at lower elevation... running below 2500ft I was able to hold it wide open up grades in 5th and hardly tap 1200... easily hold 18psi and stay in the 1050-1100 range, holding 80mph up hills.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long you gonna be in Oregon? I'm in Salem :dunno;Sweet

I've seen for a long time here that modifications are taken differently. Many do glow plugs, injectors, IP, maybe add a turbo or open the exhaust. A couple people have done more work but haven't dyno'd that I know of :dunno.

Heres hoping we see some more IDIs throwing out decent numbers :sly

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah, in Flatass, Georgia, I can't top 800 degrees... I generally am going too fast before I can get the Egt's high enough to be an issue.

I'm still puzzled why your truck in the videos seems so slow? My truck weights about 7500lbs and is roughly as fast. This shouldn't be the case, even if you had an extra 1000lbs, you have 4.10's vs my 3.55's and I have a nonwastegated turbo (mine kicks pretty good between 45mph-80mph, but is as doggy as yours from a start). Your engine generates at least 100hp more than mine...

If I had intended to keep this truck I think I would put a wastegated turbo on and continue to experiment with it.... thats not the case and I'm getting ichy to spend a ton of time/money on my Galaxie.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I think the intercooler and that T04Z turbo would really help that thing out at elevation.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
How long you gonna be in Oregon? I'm in Salem :dunno;Sweet

I've seen for a long time here that modifications are taken differently. Many do glow plugs, injectors, IP, maybe add a turbo or open the exhaust. A couple people have done more work but haven't dyno'd that I know of :dunno.

Heres hoping we see some more IDIs throwing out decent numbers :sly

Not oregon, Ft. Lewis, WA.
Yeah, in Flatass, Georgia, I can't top 800 degrees... I generally am going too fast before I can get the Egt's high enough to be an issue.

I'm still puzzled why your truck in the videos seems so slow? My truck weights about 7500lbs and is roughly as fast. This shouldn't be the case, even if you had an extra 1000lbs, you have 4.10's vs my 3.55's and I have a nonwastegated turbo (mine kicks pretty good between 45mph-80mph, but is as doggy as yours from a start). Your engine generates at least 100hp more than mine...

If I had intended to keep this truck I think I would put a wastegated turbo on and continue to experiment with it.... thats not the case and I'm getting ichy to spend a ton of time/money on my Galaxie.

Somebody else mentioned this and provided a pretty good explanation. The 200mph speedo makes the needle look like its moving much slower, and although speedhut says their Isn't, I think there is lag in the needle. On 0-60 mode my truck pulls around 10 consistently which I think is decent, especially for a ZF5/4.10. Also remember that 90mph is my mechanical mex speed.

I think the intercooler and that T04Z turbo would really help that thing out at elevation.

I think just an intercooler with my current setup would help, but at 7000+ feet, any truck is going to run much different. Seen plenty of CTD's and PSD's slowing down.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
obviously you missed something. the HP numbers has been half of the discussion. No crank sensor = machine doesnt know real RPM to calculate HP. The HP curve is correct but the actual output number is too low, so you convert the HP number yourself. You quoted the formula.......

No OBD2 port for rpm pickup. Mustang dyno can pickup RPM through wheel speed. The first 15 minutes was switching the sensor programming, and running the truck through gears and then 4th gear slowly making sure that it was following my rpm's.
:dunnocookoo

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Not oregon, Ft. Lewis, WA.

Somebody else mentioned this and provided a pretty good explanation. The 200mph speedo makes the needle look like its moving much slower, and although speedhut says their Isn't, I think there is lag in the needle. On 0-60 mode my truck pulls around 10 consistently which I think is decent, especially for a ZF5/4.10. Also remember that 90mph is my mechanical mex speed.

I think just an intercooler with my current setup would help, but at 7000+ feet, any truck is going to run much different. Seen plenty of CTD's and PSD's slowing down.

Did you mean seconds:dunno And around is not very close when 1 second on the dragstrip is a huge hp difference especially when your truck supposedly weighs 8200lbs. In your video it takes 12 seconds to go from 20 -60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online