My cb!

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
My grandfather was a truck driver for over 40yrs, seen all the lower states, canada and alaska. I too hope to become a truck driver if the economy allows me too. Anyway I went to visit him today and I mentioned that I wanted a good cobra cb to put in my truck, he replied with "I got a nice Cobra 29 LTD I just bought n sale a month ago you can have" (he just retired two weeks ago). He went and got it for me and sure enough, It was a BRAND NEW 29 LTD and he only used it for one trip before forced retirement. My question is, in you guys' expirence, is the 29 a good radio? And what are the key features of it I dont have the box? I just ordered dual whips for it and im buyin a tool box to mount them on ;Sweet

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hah i just put one in my rig yesterday, an old 40 channel general electric.. Question for ya, how do the daul 1k whip antenna's work. I just ordered a daul 1k whip kit with bed mount's from fleabay, but my buddy said i shoulda bought a single wilson 1000 for it becouse i wont have any reception with the whip's.. That thrue??

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't run duals unless you have 9' between them.you wont get a match and burn out the finals in the radio.run a wilson 1000 or 102"whip.make sure everything is grounded good, cab to frame, bed to frame and motor to frame.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The 29 is a great radio! Probably one of the most preferred radios out there.

You can match dual antennas less than 9 feet apart, Ive done it countless times. A single whip will almost always work better though.

I wouldn't recommend cbradiotalk to anyone new. From what Ive seen in the past that place is troll city and far from civilized! Allot of misinformation there as well.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 29 is an awesome radio....I have owned 4 (one in each off my personal and work trucks) and loved them.

I ran them them with a cheapo radio-shack 102in whip antenna and had GREAT reception.

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
With the dual whips closer together your signal for output and receive will be more directional the closer they are. It will be easier for the radio to pick up and broad cast ahead of you and behind I run this set up and it disentangle work too bad I talk skip alot on the am channels with it

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the dual whips closer together your signal for output and receive will be more directional the closer they are. It will be easier for the radio to pick up and broad cast ahead of you and behind I run this set up and it disentangle work too bad I talk skip alot on the am channels with it

Actually the closer together, the more the signal goes out to the sides, not foward and backward. Ive co-phased antennas plenty of times at less than 9ft, but it takes a lilttle work and tuneable antennas and some monkey"in around with coax length.

In all honestly though, a good single antenna will out perform duals any day of the week, duals are more about the look.

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not trying to argue but firestik has researched this and that's what they found a single antenna mounted on the side will broadcast to the side because of the ground plane a single antenatal will out perform duals any day though just passing on what I have read from people way smarter than i

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
Hah i just put one in my rig yesterday, an old 40 channel general electric.. Question for ya, how do the daul 1k whip antenna's work. I just ordered a daul 1k whip kit with bed mount's from fleabay, but my buddy said i shoulda bought a single wilson 1000 for it becouse i wont have any reception with the whip's.. That thrue??

I have no idea yet man, I'll have to check the kit out when it gets here but i'll let you know

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
If they are metal whips u need an swr meter don't get a radio shack one they are junk hook that up hey the mic on 1the and 40the see where your swr is then either shorebird or lengthen the antenna if its fiberglass you can file the tips down or get extensions for the bottom a steel whip you trim the bottom

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
The Cobra 29 is actually an exact match to my Uniden 78XL. Run a MAGNET MOUNT K40, or WILSON 5000 for BEST results. make sure to search how to set the SWR's before you talk on it, and run an SWR check EVERY time you fire it up..if the SWR's are off they will burn up the final transmit on the radio.

When installing it, make sure to NOT coil up the extra antenna lead...you can go back and fourth with it, just no coils with the wire...it creates a secondary coil in the circuit and will cause high SWR's.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the radio shack SWR/Wattmeter model 21-534 is ONE OF THE BEST entry level SWR meters money can buy, and is well recieved all over the net. And if the antennas arent tuneable(alot of the fiberglass ones are) pitch them and get some wilsons. Bar none the best antenna out there and can be had for around 20 bucks apiece.

And yes Ive read the firestick FAQ section, but in the real world if you Co phase antennas at less than 9 ft the pattern starts to radiate off to the sides, NOT front to back. Ive tested it many times with a field stregth meter.

And the best situation for getting out there on 4 watts is a permanent roof mount antenna. Only thing better is a 102" whip...

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Actually when you cophase, you are more or less cutting your range in half. I wouldn't trust firestik to make a peanut butter sandwich, but opinions are like.....you know. I have never trimmed my ss whip from the bottom, always from the top....I guess my 1-1-1 SWR stands to reason that how I do my trimming is just fine. I use CBRT all the time. A lot of members there are also members of worldwidedx.