Multiple Issues w/ 1990 non-turbo

pigseye

Reaction score
Long story - short

1990 F250, no turbo, was running like a dream but leaking diesel on intake of passenger side and very hard starting after sitting a while.

Had a local mechanic replace the return lines and injectors on passenger side. Injectors were replaced on the other side 2 years ago (part of long story).

But now the truck runs really rough and is still very hard starting after sitting. From what I can tell, the IP and return lines on driver side are original.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Pigseye

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key to your question may be the "sitting awhile" part. I'd look for vacuum leaks in the fuel lines, where air can get in an make your fuel supply unreliable. I don't know if the later Fords have that water seperator on the passenger firewall of the driver side, but if so, bypass that puppy. It may be the source of air coming in.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
The key to your question may be the "sitting awhile" part. I'd look for vacuum leaks in the fuel lines, where air can get in an make your fuel supply unreliable. I don't know if the later Fords have that water seperator on the passenger firewall of the driver side, but if so, bypass that puppy. It may be the source of air coming in.
Should have only one filter? I'd go through a complete kit for the return lines? check your other return lines? How about the air filter?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Should have only one filter? I'd go through a complete kit for the return lines? check your other return lines? How about the air filter?

No, the 6.9's came factory with a fuel water seperator on the firewall towards the drivers side and down of the brake master cylinder, and a fuel filter in the normal place. I've heard that the 6.9's fuel water seperators suck, and I can vouch for that because mine does, it wont let any water out if you pull up on the thing, and when sitting for a while diesel fuel will come out the drain off tube. I suppose its time for a Racor setup... just another thing on my list of things to do.

pigseye

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll try replacing the return lines on the driver side and change the fuel filter.

Any suggestions on the engine running rough? It was so smooth before doing the work on the passenger side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online