mt 480 timing meter question

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi i just bought a snap on mt480 timing meter off ebay and tryed to use it today and first the degree meter worked but the rpm meter didnt work. well then i tryed messing with the magnetic crank sensor cleaning it and then it quit all together. so i pulled the luminosity probe out and blowed it off and then put it back in then the degrees worked again but still no rpm meter and so then i messed with cleaning the crank sensor again and then the degrees quit and cant get nothing to work at all now. also it only come with the probes for 6.2 and 5.7 i was using the 6.2s luminosity probe figured should work being v8 and all or is that the problem?

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same meter. I have used the 6.2 probe in the 6.9 and it worked. It sounds to me like the magnetic pick up is not working. Make sure the hole on the timing tab is cleaned and the line on the balancer.:dunno

Last edited:

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same meter. I have used the 6.2 probe in the 6.9 and it worked. It sounds to me like the magnetic pick up is not working. Make sure the hole on the timing tab is cleaned and the line on the balancer.:dunno

okey ill have to try it again when i get time. but another question why would the degree meter work when the rpm meter wasent for a bit

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You either have a connection problem or a meter problem. What dampner probe location are you useing. We use the tall skinny probe location. Cleaning out the dampner machined line is just as important as any other connection. The lumi probe really isn't going to cause you any issues. I have several MT160 lumi probes. If interested in buying one I will sell it for $125.00.. Just pm me to talk about it.. I also have the MY161 and a lumi probe for the Rotunda meters. None of these lumi probes are available from Snapon or Rotunda any longer.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's probably the magnetic pickup.the wires going into the handle become broken inside over the years.also some people back in the day used to let the probe ride on the balancer which wore out the tip.
they were expensive to replace back in the day,and today you can no longer buy them.
i had to give up on my mt480 as much as i enjoyed timing via lumy and just be smart and buy new tools.ferret adapter & timing light is the way to go for personal timing use now.

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i used the long skinny dampener probe location. thanks for all the help. ill have to mess with the wires some and see if can get it going and if not try getting my money back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08