MSD Ignition

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I wer to put an MSD performance ignition on my 4.9 I6 if it was going to make a differance in performance or of MSD was just more garbage to buy for a vehicle.?? does anyone have any suggestions on upgrading from my OEM ignition to a performance ignition system??

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
please dont take this the wrong way.

your runnin a 300ci straight 6.dont waste your time or money trying to get more out of.they werent powerhouses but they were tough reliable engines with decent fuel mileage.just leave it alone and run it

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only thing any of those will do is give it a hotter spark.on a normal everyday driver you wont notice a difference.may pick up a mile or 2 in fuel mileage but thats about it.on a high performance engine you will notice a difference.but as far as bang for your buck,not worth it.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No and no. The FI 4.9L comes with teeny ****** little fuel injectors. This is to create an engine that even the most disgruntled fleet driver will have a hard time destroying, and also to prevent vapor lock since the intake and exhaust are sandwiched together on the same side of the head. Real gains come from increasing fuel pressure and installing injectors with a higher lb/hr rating from a v8 motor. I have done these mods, and you really can run into some reliability issues while working the bugs out. If this is a daily driver.....just thread some good copper plugs in and run it. They truly are impossible to hurt in the stock form. I once ran one for 6 months with water getting in the oil before I got the money to swap another in.

This will be helpful.

http://www.bigblocksix.com/Eddie/injectorswap/
www.fordsix.com

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cant beat 20$ for a chance taker tho... someone told me they put 32 LB injectors on there and a turbo and they got like 10 MPG lol... i would go for the 32 injectors any day.. i just dont wanna hurt the motor when im pullin a stock trailer to freakin crossville.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Don't waste the 20 bucks... Those "power modules" just advance the timing a little bit, something that can be done in a matter of minutes and for free. Yes, the injectors on those things are extremely anemic at a whopping 14lbs/hr compared to the 19 lbers that the 302 and 351W use. Like said, it's a 300-6.....and IMO is the best engine Ford ever offered. It's reliable, it's tough, it's got gobs of torque and it gets halfway decent fuel economy. It is what it is, you'll be better off accepting that.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can tell youre pretty much set on doin it.honestly id take that 20 bux and hit a junkyard for a set of injectors.butiwouldntreally mess with it.once you start messing with it the reliability goes out the window.if you wantmore power id try selling the truck and buying something with atleast a 302 in it.or do a swap on it.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read up on swapping out the rocker arms for those from a chevy six. They increase the lift just a touch and are considered a great cheap power adder.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 96 f150 with the 300l6, i have also added a msd 6a box, ford motorsport 9mm wires(v8 set made to fit) copper dist cap and rotor, and a msd blaster coil. i also added an open element k&n air filter. i did the mods one at a time, other then the msd box and coil, did them at the same time. i felt a good bit of difference with each mod. only mod i wish i have done first is a electric cooling fan,which i still need to do, also my trk is 300l6,e4od and 3.08 gears with 275/60r17 tires on lightning rims. i haul my race bikes in and out of state a lot while hauling a pop-up camper and i do believe each mod was worth the money. also use only ford/motorcraft factory style spark plugs.
just for a FYI, msd stands for multiple spark delivery, they offer 3 fires with each cylinder cycle instead of one. which will help any engine run more efficient. i can get into how it really works but my post is long enough as is.
forgot to mention, i also have a 3" free flowing exhaust system.

Last edited:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
send me the $20 and ill advance ur timing. only, and only way they may make a small difference is on the 96s that went to mass air flow and still nothing more than 2-3 hp.

i did most of what mudkickr has done plus more. IMHO (and i been tinkerin with 300s since i was 16, now 25) tune it up, advance the timing a big and open up the exhaust a little and enjoy it. dont mess with injectors, no worth it with the driveability issues as noted above.

for a brief summary:
crane cam
hedmen headers
steel timing set
lightly massaged head (removed casting flash, polished the exhaust and CChambers, 3 angle valve job)
ported intakes
302/351 throttle body
"high output" coil, advanced timing

only thing i havent tried was the e-fans (had them but removed em shortly after install0 and the msd box. i also left the airbox alone after messing with several styles. i did injectors but got horrid milage and never got it dialed in so i returned to a cleaned set of #14s. i get **** for milage but i am running 35s with stock gearing (3:55s) and drive it like a car.