Motor mounts/oil pan gasket

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been told I need new motor mounts and that I should replace the o.p. gasket. Do you have to pull the motor to rpl. the o.p. gasket? 7.3 I.D.I. standard shift, 5 speed.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
These engines do not use a gasket. Only RTV silicone on clean surfaces is necessary. Those who have used aftermarket gaskets usually have leaking problems.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not know that, but do you have to pull/raise the motor substantially?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
IIRC, the engine mounts can be changed without pulling the engine. I haven't done it myself. The trick is to get the engine high enough to clear the threads on the engine mount studs.

The oil pan is a different story. Apparently, someone did manage to do it without pulling the engine completely. But, as I recall, the next time, they would pull the engine. :)

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet the motor mounts could be done one side at a time I'd loosen the opposite side to allow more flex and the oil pan if you could get enough room to run a rag around both the pan and mounting surface and use some xylene or xylol on the rag after getting all the leftover gasket material off I think it would work hell I'd try it

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oil pan CAN be done in the truck...But I bet you will never do it twice. The oil pump MUST be removed when the pan is till under the lifted engine. So is the suction line. The suction line has a nut holding it to one of the main bolts too. It is a horrible job.Everything falling in your face and if not completely clean..YOU WILL HAVE LEAKS...Never use the oil pan gaskets because they are not required. Most any quality RTV works as well as the factory RTV did.

pafixitman

Reaction score
IIRC, the engine mounts can be changed without pulling the engine. I haven't done it myself. The trick is to get the engine high enough to clear the threads on the engine mount studs.

The oil pan is a different story. Apparently, someone did manage to do it without pulling the engine completely. But, as I recall, the next time, they would pull the engine. :)

Engine mounts can be done one side at a time in frame. When I dropped a valve, I replaced the piston that was kissed with the engine in frame. That involved pulling the pan. I went from having a truck that never marked it's territory to one that you could follow it's every move. I never got the motor clean or I nicked the silicone on install.

The amount of time (and back pain) involved in pulling a turbo and two heads along with reinstall would have been better spent pulling the clip and motor.

Say it with me...I will never replace a oil pan in frame.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When in neutral and the engine is revved the motor raises up on one side about 2 inches.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My 79 Chevy had a bolt come out. In reverse if you gassed it a bit, the engine would lift then slam down when you let off.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you find you DO NEED engine mounts..Make sure you get both sides..Oh yeah... There is a right and left plus they have a front and back side to them. Get the right on the l3ft and the engine gets pushed forwards or rear wards. It can be hell. Easy thing to do is remove one side. MARK IT as to left or right.also mark the front or back. I have read that new mounts are marked left or right but never looked into this.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now THAT is something that I would not have noticed until it was too late! Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin