Most miserable vehicle repair to date...

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I R&R my oil pan on my 6.9 with the engine in the truck. The Haynes manual said it could be done, so I did it. I had dented my pan on a firewood round that I got on top of. I placed some wood blocks under the motor mounts to raise the engine per instructions. The oil pump must be removed and dropped in the pan, and must be done by the braile method. I tied a string to my wrench after loosing a couple of them into the pan. Reinstalling the pump the reverse of removal as they say. Then get a bead of RTV in there to seal the pan. I would never attempt this again. I also did a head gasket in frame on 6.9

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
Changing the back two spark plugs on teh passengerside of the 4.0 in my 01 Explorer Sport.

You can't jack it up high enough to get under it, so I had to take it to a buddies house and put it up on a lift. Even then you could get two clicks of the ratchet before having to reset.

Then, trying to get them started in by hand...two fingers. Not one finger and a thumb, two fingers was all you could get on them!!

I know about that one... My other daily driver is a '96 Camaro Z28 - 350 V8/6sp - all the toys. Time for new spark plugs - 6 in 30 minutes. The last 2? 7.5 hours of wrench tossing cussin' frustration! Book time is 8 hours - yep I underestand why. There are part numbers cast on the side of the exhaust manifolds. It took 1/2 hour for the imprints of those numbers to come off my wrist where I had it crammed in to get the plug on the back of the driver's side head.

Compared to that car working on an IDI truck is a walk in the park.

Nick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online