Most miserable vehicle repair to date...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anything to do with brake fluid. good lord i hate that stuff lol.
I'll take brake fluid over gear oil, wheel bearing grease, and anti-seize any day of the week! At least brake fluid cleans up relatively easily...anti-seize and wheel bearing grease have this nasty habit of getting anywhere and everywhere and making a difficult-to-clean-up mess of everything, and if you even get a drop of gear oil on your clothes, it's going to take 4 or 5 wash cycles to even hope of getting the smell out!

Well, some brilliant engineer thought it would be a good idea to run the water pump off of the timing belt. ***? you say? Exactly.
Actually, IIRC nearly all engines with timing belts use the water pump as a tensioner gear. According to a few reputable sources, that's actually intentional...it essentially forces you to change the water pump out every time you do a timing belt job, which in theory minimizes the risk of a water pump failure. Clearly, this theory didn't work in your case, though :shocked: yikes!!!

As for my most miserable vehicle "repair" (and quite a learning experience for me!!)...this may not have been the most difficult repair I've ever done, but it's easily the most frustrating, and also had much more of a long-term consequence than anything else I've done. My second vehicle (and last g@$oline-powered car) was a '65 Chevy Chevelle with a 230ci inline-6. I was 17, had been playing with diesels on a weekly basis for the last 4 years or so to date, but didn't know much about g@$$ers and was too broke to take the car to a shop. The engine had an intermittent miss...it didn't seem to be isolated to one cylinder, and would happen at any engine RPM or accelerator position. Unfortunately, I didn't know anyone who was well-versed in gasoline engines other than my auto shop teacher, and he didn't have any idea either in spite of being an old-school Chevy guy, and I was very wary of repair shops (not to mention broke LOL ), so I was at a point where I was throwing parts at the engine hoping something would stick. I had replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor car and rotor, contact points, and ignition condenser at least twice, and finally thought to try changing out the fuel filter. I'll never forget the day...it was the day before New Year's Eve 1998/99. The fuel filter was one of those solid elements that looked like a shaped porous rock, and went into a chamber in the carburetor that the fuel feed line attached to. In the process of removing the fuel feed line, I damaged the line beyond repair. So, I had to run to the auto parts store to get another solid line. Only problem was, there was no other vehicle, and the nearest auto parts store was about 3 miles away. I had a bicycle, but I (stupidly) hadn't touched it in the 7 or 8 months since I had gotten my driver's license...but it's okay; the tires are holding air, I've been bending my back over a hood for the last couple of hours, why not?

6 mile round trip later, I'm back with the replacement fuel line...the guy at the auto parts store had recommended that I also buy a bending tool to keep from kinking the line, but I was young and dumb and broke and decided that I didn't need it as badly as I needed the $5 or so. After getting back to the car, it took me maybe 10 minutes to kink the line...so, back on the auto parts store. 6 more miles later, I get back with another line and a bending tool. Fortunately, the line wasn't all that expensive, but still...I learned my first lesson about being penny-wise and pound-foolish. I got the line bent, after a few hours of again bending over into the engine compartment. Then, I realized that the fitting on the fuel pump side was different, and I needed to adapt it...back onto my bike and back to the auto parts store! I couldn't find something that looked like it would work, so I went back home empty-handed...had ridden 18 miles at this point. I found a different auto parts store, which was of course 3 miles away in the other direction, and off I went...it was starting to get dark by now, and I was starting to feel pain in my legs and hips, but I kept on going. The second auto parts store had what I needed, so I got the adapters, rode back, and got everything put back together. Drove the car around the block...it seemed better but not perfect, and I figured the car was good to go to make an appointment to get the tires replaced the next day.

First, the bad news (and why "repair" was in quotes above)...while driving to that tire appointment, the engine decided to die altogether when I was halfway there. I ended up calling a towtruck, towing it to the shop that was doing the tires, and asked them if they could do anything with the engine. They said they'd repair the engine...they ended up tightening the bolts holding the intake/exhaust manifold on and making some adjustments to the carburetor. That didn't fix the problem, and the shop refused to honor their 90 day repair warranty and wouldn't look at it without charging another $100 inspection fee that I couldn't dream of affording (I was already way past broke with this)...I ended up giving up and selling the car. To this day, I don't have a clue what the problem was...shame there wasn't an OB for Chevelle owners in the late '90's; OTOH I bought my Scout and first diesel after selling the Chevelle, and have been spark-free ever since ;Sweet

Now, for the worse news, which is why this is the most miserable repair I've ever done and why I stressed those auto parts store runs in my story. I had spent half of that day bending over into the engine compartment of a car that was fairly low to the ground, and the other half riding 24 miles on a bicycle without having stretched or warmed up my muscles or anything like that. The first day afterwards, I felt what seemed like muscle pain in my legs, hips, and back, and I figured that was normal for what I had done. However, the next day, I was in absolute agony...I felt like someone had stabbed me deep in the right hip :moon: and I almost couldn't walk. I still thought that this was just a delayed muscle reaction and just toughed it out...but, when it hadn't gone away in two months, I realized that it was something else. 14 years, six doctors, and seven opinions later, I still don't have a firm diagnosis (that story's a PITA unto itself -cuss ), but the best I've been able to come up with is two herniated discs putting pressure on the sciatic nerve. I'm pretty sure that it was a cumulative effect (I spent my teenage years thinking that "lift with your legs, not your back" didn't apply to me, while hauling on lines and wrenching on 2-stroke Detroits on a boat), but that day was certainly the straw that broke the camel's back, almost literally in this case :shocked: Ibuprofen keeps the pain mostly under control (to the tune of a minimum of 800mg per day :shocked: ), but even now, there are some times when I need crutches to walk. I'm almost 32 now; I don't want to think about how bad things'll be when I'm 60...

Object lessons learned:
1) Blindly throwing parts at something is bad for your wallet.
2) Spend the extra money for the right tool the first time around!
3) Spark plugs are the spawn of Satan LOL
4) Take care of your back...no one is invincible, and back pain is a whole new level of misery.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My most frustrating repair.. this..

You must be registered for see images attach

Yes that is a bolt snapped flush with the yoke and yes that is a drill bit embedded in the middle of the bolt in an attempt to drill a pilot hole for what would eventually be an easy out. My buddy and I, trying to avoid taking the yoke off tried lots of wonderfully creative ways to get this delt with over about a week. Eventually, I took the yolk off and drill pressed from the back then tapped the drill bit out, I then used a tap to try and clean the threads out so I could put another bolt in, and the tap shattered in the hole.

Rather pissed off at this point I took a punch and mini sledge and beat the tap to dust (and a nice hole in the pavement). I eventually got a bolt through and torqued the yoke back on without a problem or a leak so far and its been about 2 years now.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The most miserable job I have done is the replacement of a 1995 Eagle Talon DOHC 2.0 water pump. What could be so difficult about replacing a water pump you ask?
Well, let me tell you...

"The Chrysler 1.8, 2.0, and 2.4 are inline-4 engines designed originally for the Dodge and Plymouth Neon compact car. These engines were loosely based on their predecessors, the Chrysler 2.2 & 2.5 engine, sharing the same 87.5 mm bore. The DOHC head was developed by Chrysler with input from the Chrysler-Lamborghini team that developed the Chrysler/Lamborghini Formula 1 V12 engine in the early 1990s." Sounds **** doesn't it?

Well, some brilliant engineer thought it would be a good idea to run the water pump off of the timing belt. ***? you say? Exactly. So when the water pump failed, it took the timing belt with it. Oh, did I mention it is an interferance fit engine? Oh yes! So when the timing belt went away, it bent every single valve in that engine. All 16 of them!

So, because of a water pump I now had to replace the head, head gasket, timing belt, and water pump. To take the water pump off you have to take off the entire front/passenger side of the engine. Yes, even the harmonic balancer. There is barely enough room under the hood for the engine, let alone work on it.
The passenger side engine mount has to come off and you have to jack the engine up so high you think something is going to break. Then you have to lower it the other way to get the harmonic dampner off. Replacing the head is another adventure. This is a job for blind mechanics, because you can't see half the intake manifold bolts.

Definitely the most miserable job I have ever had to do. I would love to have a wall to wall talk with that engineer. Just 5 minutes. Actually, with all the rage I have regarding that design, I think 30 seconds would be enough to "educate" him. ;)
Maybe you were having a bad day. My brother has a 99 neon with the 2.0 SOHC. First time doing timing belt and water pump change only took maybe 2 hours at most, taking breaks from the rain. Intake manifold takes ten. Head can be off in 30. Whole engine can be pulled and put back in a few hours. On engine number 2 and second rebuild on this one. It's knocking again and guzzles oil.
He won't listen about rebuilding it right the first time.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I haven't really had many that were too horrible. Back when I was 15 I had a 92 z71 that the idler arm wouldn't come off for nothing. Tried a pickle fork, sledge, and a air hammer. Finally took it to a shop and he used a air hammer with a pickle fork attachment, came right off(I must've loosened it for him lol).

Next would be a buddies 06 cummapart. Yep, you guessed it, BALL JOINTS!!! drivers side wasn't too god awfully bad, but still a PITA even with the ball joint press kit and a torch. Now the passenger side was a whole other story. Snapped a 1/2 inch breaker bar trying to get the axle nut off(tried heat, no affect), went and borrowed the biggest baddest air impact that oriellys had(yes borrowed since his cousin works there and was opening that morning), held it on the nut and within twenty seconds she started turning. Not done yet, the upper ball-joint flat end snapped off in a clean perfect circle, had to improvise(don't remember exactly what I did). The bottom one didn't want to go in, the hole wasn't right because it would get jammed and start going crooked. Took a air angle grinder with a sandpaper flap and tried opening it up some. Had to use a cheater pipe just to get it pressed back in. Now as to the timeframe: We started at 1700 and finished around 1400 the next day, working all night.
So actually I have had a horrible one. Glad he traded in that $26k POS. Talked him into a duramax. :flipa

Lastly, changing the water pump on my sisters trailblazer. The fan clutch screws on like everything else these days. Well it would not come loose. Had to just pull it all in one piece, had to modify the shroud to get it out of the way first. Tried heating it also. Took it in to autozone where I got creative(I know nearly all workers pretty well, they recognize my voice when I call, especially the girl lol ). After nothing they had worked, I went oldschool with a BFH and cold chisel while holding the clutch nut with a monkey wrench. First few whacks and good god Almighty here she came.
Funny thing is, two of the workers also have trailblazers and had the same exact pains. But I had changed one on my girlfriends x-manager at work and it came right off. :shrugs

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Maybe you were having a bad day. My brother has a 99 neon with the 2.0 SOHC. First time doing timing belt and water pump change only took maybe 2 hours at most, taking breaks from the rain. Intake manifold takes ten. Head can be off in 30. Whole engine can be pulled and put back in a few hours. On engine number 2 and second rebuild on this one. It's knocking again and guzzles oil.
He won't listen about rebuilding it right the first time.

Different car, different engine. Same block tho!

Warden: I feel for you man. I too suffer from Sciatica. That is a whole other level of misery.

All you guys, the lesson is there: take good care of yourself. No one else is going to.

Timing belt water pumps are a bad idea. Next worst design is the chain driven water pump (Pontiac Sunfire 2.4L engine). What were they thinking? Jeez boys, give your toque a spin!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my "most challenging" job to date was not one of my own trucks, but a friend's. he snapped a crank on a 7.3 in his F450 carrier loaded with two cars(one on top one off the back). no big deal normally, but he was at the top of the grapevine at the Tejon pass rest area and home base is in the SFBA. That's 5 hours north for the unfamiliar. I loaded the Nostromo with a spare motor and trans tools, pans, buckets, fresh fluids for the truck, food/drink for the humans, soap, towels and cardboard. A buddy drove the wrecker for the motor/trans pull. All got done in two days. Cardboard is your friend to keep unwanted spills off the ground, sun out of your eyes and the ever present wind away from your workspace. As we were cleaning up, CHP rolls up and has a chat with us. Technically it's illegal to use a rest stop for repair work, but he was impressed we didn't leave any spills, smudges, and trash indicating anything was ever done. We were being watched by CHP the entire time but they were unaware how big the job was until they saw the motor/trans hanging off the boom of the wrecker. they figured it was easier to let us finish than shut us down. why the grief when we could have towed the carrier? none of us owned a truck large enough to tow it legally and the north side of the grapevine is a very unforgiving downslope. We did start a tradition though, prime rib dinner at Harris Ranch.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My most miserable would be changing the engine in my old F250. I know that normally a 6.9 is easy to change out, but this was in January. The temp was never above freezing. It was inside my neighbor's quonset building. It was "heated" with w small wood burning stove in the corner that almost got it up to 40 or so after a few hours. I was working nights, so I only had about 3 hours to work on it before work. The quonset is always so full of junk that you have to spend at least half a day cleaning it to get a vehicle all the way inside. Then when you finally get it inside, you have to almost climb over the top of it just to get from the front to the back. These days I try to wait until it's warm enough to work out on my driveway. It's just easier that way. The next miserable thing to do to my Bronco is to change out the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. The master leaks ,so i figure just do both while I'm at it. The worst part is bleeding the system after you're done. I haven't found an easy way to do it. I just usually pump the s*#t out of the pedal. When both legs and my right arm are aching and sore, that's when I know I'm about half way there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Only REALLY miserably job I can remember on my truck was putting new clutches in the rear end. Trying to do it by way of all normal directions, i gave up and ended up going by my buddies shop where we bound that sucker up in his blacksmiths vice and while attempting to turn the carrier to rotate the carrier to roll the spiders in, we proceded to pull his 12 ft steel bench off the ground and tip it over at which point we gave up and I went home to contemplate alternative actions and ended up devising a rig to compress the clutches and bell spring on BOTH sides at once instead of just the one side as all the instructions say,( this is also after rigging a tool out of a cut down axle shaft to rotate the carrier , with a nice long bar bolted to it for leverage)

How anyone can claim to *slip in * extra clutches on these things like folks do on lighter duty vehicles, I call BS, the stock number barely fit in, but it was worth the fuss . That rear has close to 100k on it running Amsoil and a lot of that towing heavy and the posi still holds like new, I can still pull out with one wheel off teh ground, which is a dang site better than getting stuck on wet grass like I used to, so I guess I wont gripe too much about that job, but I went back in the house in defeat a number of times before I finally got that sucker put back together, Next time they give out, its getting something without clutches before I go through that again, I wont be strong enough next time to pull it off.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far my worst job was changing the fan clutch on our HMMWV 6.5 diesel. the main fan clutch bolts/screws were a very soft metal and were failing as I was trying to remove them and some broke off. I even had to drill and tap some new holes in the broken bolts so I could insert a RH thread deal to twist them out. Also to get to the fan clutch I had to remove LOTS and LOTS of crap including the stack of radiators/coolers....ugh it felt like it went on forever.

Second most difficult job was the oil cooler on my IDI...it wasn't difficult but dang was it messy!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So far my worst job was changing the fan clutch on our HMMWV 6.5 diesel. the main fan clutch bolts/screws were a very soft metal and were failing as I was trying to remove them and some broke off. I even had to drill and tap some new holes in the broken bolts so I could insert a RH thread deal to twist them out. Also to get to the fan clutch I had to remove LOTS and LOTS of crap including the stack of radiators/coolers....ugh it felt like it went on forever.

Second most difficult job was the oil cooler on my IDI...it wasn't difficult but dang was it messy!
What do you guys use the HMMWV for at work?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Full engine replacement on a 2005 e450 bus chassis. Took a full week at work. Whoever thought a 6.0 diesel fits in a van needs a swift kick in the nuts.

sassyrel

Reaction score
The most miserable job I have done is the replacement of a 1995 Eagle Talon DOHC 2.0 water pump. What could be so difficult about replacing a water pump you ask?
Well, let me tell you...

"The Chrysler 1.8, 2.0, and 2.4 are inline-4 engines designed originally for the Dodge and Plymouth Neon compact car. These engines were loosely based on their predecessors, the Chrysler 2.2 & 2.5 engine, sharing the same 87.5 mm bore. The DOHC head was developed by Chrysler with input from the Chrysler-Lamborghini team that developed the Chrysler/Lamborghini Formula 1 V12 engine in the early 1990s." Sounds **** doesn't it?

Well, some brilliant engineer thought it would be a good idea to run the water pump off of the timing belt. ***? you say? Exactly. So when the water pump failed, it took the timing belt with it. Oh, did I mention it is an interferance fit engine? Oh yes! So when the timing belt went away, it bent every single valve in that engine. All 16 of them!

So, because of a water pump I now had to replace the head, head gasket, timing belt, and water pump. To take the water pump off you have to take off the entire front/passenger side of the engine. Yes, even the harmonic balancer. There is barely enough room under the hood for the engine, let alone work on it.
The passenger side engine mount has to come off and you have to jack the engine up so high you think something is going to break. Then you have to lower it the other way to get the harmonic dampner off. Replacing the head is another adventure. This is a job for blind mechanics, because you can't see half the intake manifold bolts.

Definitely the most miserable job I have ever had to do. I would love to have a wall to wall talk with that engineer. Just 5 minutes. Actually, with all the rage I have regarding that design, I think 30 seconds would be enough to "educate" him. ;)

yah,,and what brilliant engine was it,,that they had,,that the water pump was on the inside of the engine,,and the pumps liked to lunch at right about 90,000 miles,,taking the engine with it???...that was another swift chrysler engoooooner...

Reaction score
Wow, I have zero stories that compare to these. Couple of stripped oil pan drains, but otherwise I've learned to know my limits and leave the real fun ones to the pros.

Mike

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Up pipe on a 6.0

I have never been that frustrated (couldn't bend over enough to get bolts from top, could barely get them from the bottom.)

Anyone else throw wrenches in frustration?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Up pipe on a 6.0

I have never been that frustrated (couldn't bend over enough to get bolts from top, could barely get them from the bottom.)

Anyone else throw wrenches in frustration?

Yeah, I've got a Banks banner hanging in the rafters of my shop that's used periodically as a broken tool backstop. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online