More 2003 6.0L cold starting problems!!

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
So, my 03 6.0L F-250 has been having starting issues ever since it started to dip into the 30-40 degree range at night this year. A few weeks ago it wouldn’t start at all and I took it to the dealer. At first they thought it might be a battery issue, but it turned out the batteries were fine. They updated the PCM, TCM, and FICM with the latest programming. They also changed the fuel filter, oil filter, drained the water separator, changed oil, etc. After that it started and ran fine.

Now, I don’t drive this truck every day. It does sit for 2-3 days sometimes without being run. It also sits outside in the cold all the time also. After sitting for a couple of days without being driven I went to start it. NO START!
I cycled the glow plugs again and again, but still no start. The glow plugs did not stay on long for how cold it was, which seems weird. It doesn’t even sound like it’s trying to start. It just sounds like its cranking for the hell of it. No smoke out of the tailpipe when cranking either. So, I plugged the block heater in and let it sit for a couple of hours. I went back to start it and it started instantly and ran great.

The next day I went to start it again and it wouldn’t start again. Same as before. It was not plugged in at all though. I plugged it in and let it sit for an hour. I went to start it again and it started and ran rough for a few minutes until warm.

It only starts if it’s been plugged in for a few hours. I should be able to start with just glow plugs in 30-40 degree weather fine right?!

What do you guys think it could be based of my description? Bad glow plugs, bad Glow plugs controller, bad sensors or something like that?

Also, it builds and maintains oil pressure on the factory gauges while cranking and I run a cetane booster, fuel anti-gel and cleaner in it to.

Thanks for the help!!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to specifically ask if they (dealer) flashed you for the Inductive Heat Cycle on the injectors. It totally fixed my cold start issues on my 06 6.0L.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to specifically ask if they (dealer) flashed you for the Inductive Heat Cycle on the injectors. It totally fixed my cold start issues on my 06 6.0L.

X2

I had the Inductive Flash on mine. I had to keep it plugged in, in the heated garage to get it to start and run well. I can now leave it outside in below freezing weather and it will start right up and run correctly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online