Moose Truck Birthday Party a Sucess!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you may recall, I planned to celebrate making the 25 year mark with the Moose Truck, by throwing a party for my Ford dealer. I know that probably sounds really weird to most of you, but I'm lucky to have a Ford dealer worth throwing a party for. Everything went great. The Agne family showed up in a detailed Moose Truck for around 11:30, and the son of the founder Elmer Wade, Kent, was out firing up the grill. Kent is the guy who sold me the Moose Truck back in 1983, and we've been friends ever since. Kent runs the dealership with his brother Brian, who is the service manager. His daugher Diana is poised to take over when he retires. I set up my standard "car show display" with all my memorabilia like I do at the IDI Weekend show and shines, and all the employees looked it over as we waited for the burgers and dogs to cook. Kent even had mushrooms and peppers to go with it all. The food was delicious. After the meal, I said a few words about why I felt this event was worth celbrating, and why I thought Stoner-Wade was worthy of me wanting to do this. We then had cake and ice cream (what kind of birthday party doesn't include that?) Suzi and the boys handed out shirts to all the employees, and I gave the plaques that I had our own Tom Brewer make for me, out to Kent (for the sales one) and Glenn (who has been a parts department employee for over 25 years) got the parts and service one. The sales plaque included the original rubber clutch pedal pad from the Moose Truck that was swapped out a the 100K mark. They thought that was pretty neat, and Glenn even started to rattle off the ETZ something something part number from memory! We then got a group photo with as many of the employees that were still available as we could, before leaving with full stomachs and good memories. The album link is below. I still have some shirts left, and will make them available for $10 each at the IDI Weekend for anybody wanting one. Happy Birthday to the Moose Truck! Here's hoping for 25 more. ;Sweet
You must be registered for see images

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel... Thats one in a million. Just thinking of all the miles you have driven the truck scares me. The chance that someone wrecks into you would really bother the heck out of me. To most its just an old truck and transportation at that but... I have never had a new car or truck. I don't plan on it either. I love my 79 chevy truck and my 89 Ford crewcab. I plan on keeping them. The Chevy I have had since 82. Bought it with 23,000 miles on it. I like old things. Ford Corporation should "do something" for you. Just my thoughts. Gees, you even buy mostly Ford only repair parts from the dealer. Thats shows the company something.:thumbsup:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Congrats Mel.:thumbsup:

So I suppose Moose truck stock in '08 isn't gonna happen huh?LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
If I had the money I would do the same thing you did, buy a new F350 4x4, ordered in my way....Loaded to the teeth with a 6spd stick....A new truck would last me forever as long as they make replacement parts and rustproofing....Good on ya Mel, nice to see someone take pride in their rig from day one and treat it the way it should be treated. My old rig rolled 420,000KM yesterday, here's hoping she's got another 420,000 in her.;Sweet ...With a 3yr old daughter running around, a big friggin mortage with 23yrs left and twins on the way later this summer I can't see me ever getting a new truck...LOL....I have a feeling JR might get his driving lessons in the old beast.

I wouldn't trade my old Ford for 100 new chevy's....there's only one - BUILT FORD TOUGH.:backoff ...As long as I have 2 good frame rails I can replace everything around them.:D Working in a dealership myself I see truckers in all the time who only buy Freightshakers for the excellent service they have received over the years from our company. Good service and good products - whay fix what isn't broken.:dunno

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Way to go Mel!

We wanted to do the same thing for our grandpas 83 thats been in the family since new, but the restoration got put on hold and I dont know if its going to be finished this summer or not.

Gotta say, we've gotcha beat in the mileage dept. Grandpas truck has over 650,000 miles on the original engine with the original GP's and an IP that was only serviced once at 150k. We probably had another 10k on the frame after installing the new engine, before rolling it. :rolleyes:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of mailing something to Ford. I don't know if it would do any good or not, but I'll probably give it a shot. Maybe IH too. After all, that marriage has lasted longer than most. LOL

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool Mel, congrats.;Sweet
LOL the only thing my dealer does for me is call me a cheap (F) for not buying a "new" truck since 1988 :D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I was thinking of mailing something to Ford. I don't know if it would do any good or not, but I'll probably give it a shot. Maybe IH too. After all, that marriage has lasted longer than most. LOL

I wouldn't go letting Detroit know about it. As tight as those suckers are getting, they just might send that poor dealership a letter demanding a cut of the burgers and dogs, and even the cake and ice cream :rotflmao

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mel-
out here, the family owned dealerships are a thing of the past. If the mega corporate dealerships haven't consumed them, the factories have been pulling the franchises out from under them. In my minimal free time, I've been hitting the equipment auctions that follow after the closing of a dealership. It's unfortunate of what's happening, but it's the reality of business. Enjoy your truck's birthday and the deep ties you have with your dealership. It's completely unheard of out west anymore.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I cannot think of anyone else throwing a party like that, but for Mel, it just seems like the right and natural thing to do. Very cool

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It's hard to beat the 80-96 trucks for longevity and durability...Ford sold millions of them and I bet 1/2 or more of them are still on the road.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
very cool, its great to see business do something like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online