missing

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, on way to work this morning its a ****** 3 degrees here in southern illinois, my truck misses and cuts out at 2000-2200rpm, just dont act right at all, ran fine yesterday at 10 degrees. Anyone ever experience fuel gelling and doing this? I'm running additive so it shouldn't happen but, ill belive anything these days. I've got experience on newer stuff but not on this old mechanical diesel. also noticed today that the pump center mark is timed towards the drivers side so pump is retarded right?? could this be the cause? any ideas on where to start?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not all fuel anti gelling products are the same so... Just because you are using something means nothing. Did you see the filter lite come on... Try adding some Howes treatment in the white bottle. Or read some of the recent postings about what others are running with great results. You might be right on the edge of a complete gelup.....

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry guess i should of specified, i'm running Howes diesel treat in the clear bottle.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Do You have a fuel filter light and does it come ON at all? If yes then IP might be starving for fuel. 3f is pretty low so I would look for way to keep the fuel from gelling and a good source for it as well. Have some extra fuel filters with You.

On the fuel additive I usually use power service white bottle and carry a bottle of the red bottle in case I'm away and the fuel is gelled.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well fuel gelling was evidently the cause of my problems, I let the truck sit inside at work this afternoon and ta daa:D, no more problems. I dumped the rest of the bottle of howe's in the tank and came home. We'll see how things work out. No my truck doesn't have a fuel filter light-or at least one that lights up at any point in time- I also don't see the switch on the filter housing anywhere, and my stock seperator is gone. Hopefully we won't have this problem anymore.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All IP's I've seen have a line on them and the housing, which were placed there at assembly after timing which should be inline, if there not, it's quite possible the IP has been changed at sometime or retimed. If the center punch mark is the only mark then quite possible it is retarded. Move it to the pass side 1/32" at a time and see if it run's better.

Whoops; read center mark as center punch, but the same applies. You are saying the mark on the pump right.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online