Might be the end of my truck

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think my truck has met its end. The jeep tried to turn in front of me and caught me right in the corner. It happen in the spring and I just had her put in the garage as took the time to see what would happen with her. They totaled her out but let me keep her. Just not sure she is worth fixing. the frame looks ok but the cab shifted and is really rusted. Been driving her for 17 years but don't wanna kick a dead horse. Just sucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that sucks. looks like it was quite the pileup. from here it looks somewhat fixable.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bah; just cut some chunks out and weld a custom fender on!

Or, you could just use a new front wheel well panel and hood; bend things back a bit and call it good. Doesn't have to be perfect, just drivable.

To fix it 'right', you could probably get a whole front clip and hood for $200 or so, install that and make it work.
You might need to offset a couple of holes, but other than that, it's totally fixable.

A friend of mine with a GMC jimmy got hit just like you did. We got parts at the wrecking yard and rigged it up. No, it doesn't look stock(especially with a /red/ front corner panel on a white jimmy), but he's still driving it down the road.
We did have to torch out a few pieces of bent-up frame/bumper mount and beat the rest back close enough, but it's back on the road.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you're worried about the rusty cab, this would be a good excuse for a cab swap! I say fix it. they don't make these anymore.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I was going to say.If the cab is rusted out,then this is the time to just swap cabs.
Otherwise it's just a trip to the salvage yard,or someone with a parts truck around to get a hood,fender,grill,bumper....Did you even have a bumper on there? lol
front header panel,headlight,turn and corner markers and in a weekend you could have it back together.Mismatched colors yeah but hey.Good for another 17 years........or at least 4 or 5.:D

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was going to say.If the cab is rusted out,then this is the time to just swap cabs.
Otherwise it's just a trip to the salvage yard,or someone with a parts truck around to get a hood,fender,grill,bumper....Did you even have a bumper on there? lol
front header panel,headlight,turn and corner markers and in a weekend you could have it back together.Mismatched colors yeah but hey.Good for another 17 years........or at least 4 or 5.:D

Yes the bumper was on there, its on the ground to the left in the accident pic lol.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah I see it.Good thing no one was walking there.They would of had some sore shins.:D
Did it do anything to your headgear other than bust up the lights?

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah I see it.Good thing no one was walking there.They would of had some sore shins.:D
Did it do anything to your headgear other than bust up the lights?

No the ******* caught me right in the wheel and sent the rear into the oil filter, bent the springs and knocked the cab. had I T-boned him I probably could of drove the truck away. Lights just snapped from the sudden stop.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the least you have a good parts truck. Find something that needs what you can salvage off of the wrecked truck and bingo you got a good running truck.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Glad you are ok. Sometimes it's nice to have 3 tons of metal wrapped around you. :)

I'd fix it, or at least keep it as a parts truck.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
passenger side rad support mount got ripped off

yea NJ and rock salt really can do a number on a truck

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks totally fixable. I honestly would be surprised if the frame is actually bent a whole lot. It probably is a bit out of whack but nothing that can't be tweaked back to straight. As for the mount ripped off, some good grinding and a solid welder and tadaaa you got a new radiator mount. Cab is rusty but either a cab swap or cut rust out and put in New panels.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Plow mount probably helped keep the frame straight.
The factory bumpers are almost useless.
Yours took off and ran at the sight of danger. Lol
Those radiator support brackets can be bought new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk