Might be buying a '94 PSD - What to look for?

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to go look at a '94 PSD Superduty with 228k miles. Completely new to the PSD. I love my 7.3 IDI.

Anything special I should check for? Thanks!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Look around the hpop fittings for leaks/seapage.
Look to see if the lift pump is leaking.
May look at the uvch connections/plugs.

There's really no tell tale signs of future failures.
Just give it a good looking over.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's really no tell tale signs of future failures.
Just give it a good looking over.

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. Is 228000 pretty high mileage for a PSD, or not so much? Worth sending in an oil sample?

Is there some kind of glossary anywhere online for the OBS PSD? Curious about all the abbreviations.

I figure this thing is worth 2500 - 3000 bucks to me, it has a pto dump, zf 5 speed, and I would be maxing out a 1 ton with the work I do.
I like the hydroboost brakes and the 15000 gvwr of the super duty.

I would jump on a OBS Super Duty with an IDI, but the PSD seem much more common in the super duty's. The extra power ($$$$) will be nice.

Is the lift pump in the same location as an IDI? What about the HPOP? I am guessing this stands for high pressure oil pump?

Any easy way to check oil and fuel pressure? What kind of readings am I looking for @ idle, going down the road, WOT, ...?

The guy said he just replaced the oil cooler and that fixed the low oil pressure problems it was having.... Sounds like it starts and runs good, no smoke or excessive blowby.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I thought we had a glossary here...
Just Google Powerstroke acronyms.. Should find something.

The hpop makes up to 3500 psi IIRC. So there's really no quickie way of checking. Unless you have a good code reader like autoenginuity(sp?).

You can look in the fuel bowl for signs of oil. Which could indicate failing injector o-rings.

The lift pump is in the valley, right in front of the Turbo. Look down between the turbo and intake "y."

You can check the low pressure oil system by removing the passenger side pipe plug in the hpop reservoir.

The fuel pressure can be checked by using the schrader valve on the drivers side of the fuel bowl.
It's mounted to the fuel pressure regulator.

What else?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online