Mid 20s boost IDI !

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Gee Dave I Was hauling meat in 1986-"Jac Pac" And Liquid Natural gas in the early 70's.Hauled collectors Tractors for a few years.Been there done it.over 25 years on the road. I have family in Flatwoods - going to visit later this year.Would like to hook up with U for coffee.

sootman73

Reaction score
hey dave i was wondering, and i've heard of it a few times, what is the external smoke screw? i know the internal allen bolt. i have that maxxed and was looking for some more fuel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave,
Thanks so much for posting here. Your trials and tribulations are the stuff of legend. A few here have gone down that path, but never emerged still owning their IDI. We've also had hear say from others about high performing IDI's, but no facts or first hand knowledge to back up the claims. Just to recap what appears to be the major difference between your engine, and all the others, if you can sumarize.... I believe it was:

.040 off the piston tops
110 foot pounds on ARP studs with moley lube (was this with a newly calibrated torque wrench?)
stock head gaskets
.85 AR wastegated turbo

No intercooler.
Is this correct?

Certainly those stud torque numbers are very high by 6.9 standards, and I'm glad to hear it will hold up, hence the question about your torque wrench. Surely when getting close to the limit it's important to be right on.

We've also heard that those kinds of boost numbers represent a bit of a loss without an intercooler, so I wonder how that factors into things. The up pipe thermal wrapping is also something that few have done, as conventional wisdom has indicated that up pipes don't last long and may "crystalize" or at best rust through due to wrapping. I'd be interested to learn more about how exactly you did them and if the fact that you run your rig so hard may have something to do with avoiding those problems. The last guy here to run those kind of boost numbers ate a head gasket in short order, but didn't have the shaved pistons or probably those torque numbers. How did you arrive at .040 off? Or was that just a lucky guess? ;Sweet

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Green beast6.9 you say you have never seen an idi moter take an obs 7.3? you should come to my hometown of angleton I eat obs 7.3's for lunch now that my ford is down. I am driving my brothers old school idi 12 valve cummins and I have raced so many stock obs's and made them eat soot. IDK what is done to the engine lets just say that i know a guru on those dodges that lives right down the road from us. I have raced a obs 7.3 with injectors and a k&n intake and made him eat soot to. He went and bought a 200 horse chip and left me by only about one car length. Now grant is these were really short distance races only until my speedo hit about 80 or so but top speed on that engine is 109.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Green beast6.9 you say you have never seen an idi moter take an obs 7.3? you should come to my hometown of angleton I eat obs 7.3's for lunch now that my ford is down. I am driving my brothers old school idi 12 valve cummins and I have raced so many stock obs's and made them eat soot. IDK what is done to the engine lets just say that i know a guru on those dodges that lives right down the road from us. I have raced a obs 7.3 with injectors and a k&n intake and made him eat soot to. He went and bought a 200 horse chip and left me by only about one car length. Now grant is these were really short distance races only until my speedo hit about 80 or so but top speed on that engine is 109.

:rotflmao I'm sure you know it, but he's talking about the 6.9/7.3 IDI. I know I kinda chuckle when someone posts up talking about there IDI, and a 6.2/6.5, and I'm like that 6.2/6.5 is an IDI as well LOL. Oh well we all know that our IDI's are the real IDI's :D.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
ok? I thought we were talking about Ford IDI's? And if your brother has a rotary pump ill take you up on that. I was talking about the 6.9 7.3, but what ever makes you happy.:D

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
yeah, just figured i might play on his words a little though. I can't tell you how many high schoolers i have won $50 or $100 off of because i tell them i have a 92 diesel that will outrun their little ricers. I think its hilarious to see them choking in the soot behind me.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
:rotflmao I'm sure you know it, but he's talking about the 6.9/7.3 IDI. I know I kinda chuckle when someone posts up talking about there IDI, and a 6.2/6.5, and I'm like that 6.2/6.5 is an IDI as well LOL. Oh well we all know that our IDI's are the real IDI's :D.

What he said.:Thumbs Up

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
yeah, just figured i might play on his words a little though. I can't tell you how many high schoolers i have won $50 or $100 off of because i tell them i have a 92 diesel that will outrun their little ricers. I think its hilarious to see them choking in the soot behind me.

Just so you know you are not talking to a high schooler. And this ain't no ricer. :angel:

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
i can completely understand and i wasn't trying to down you and that absolutely wasn't a challenge, at all i was just sharin a little fact that i would imagine all of us can relate to. In general people would think of a diesel as a slow truck and i love to see their face when they see black soot and that "slow diesel" pass them up

no bad intentions man and hope i didn't offend

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
None taken. I love the fact that people still think diesels are heavy and slow, they get quite a surprise!;Sweet

sootman73

Reaction score
um cummins hasn't ever been idi. at least not the ones that came in the dodge trucks. cummins is def gonna have a chance at beatin an psd. they are as strong as the late model ones.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave any chance your going to get your truck dynoed i really like to see how much power that thing is making;Sweet

Dave Sponaugle

Reaction score
The only time a dyno gets anywhere around here is at one of the truck pulls, usually August something.
That place is a little over an hour from my house.
If I go or not depends on our work schedule and the weather.

I was all ready to go last year, it was pouring down the rain so I stayed home.
They were choking on dust up at the pull, never rained a drop.

Basics of build,
minimum bore on block, turned out to be 30 over on mine
balanced rotating asembley
.040 off the pistons
port matched intake and exhaust
110 ft lbs on ARP head studs 220,000 PSI studs
grade 8 bolts in both the intake and exhaust manifolds custom cut to full depth and twice stock torque
Copper form a gasket on both sides of intake gaskets
Copper form a gasket on both sides of exhaust manifold gaskets
Sealed Power hypereutec pistons, stock crown height
DPS Stage 1 injectors
DB2 5070 IP that has been tweeked
I think that turbo is a .85 AR, that sticks in my head as the number anyway

Agnem, I hear you have an IP I may be interested in.
The Moose Pump sounds like something I may need.
But then again I heard we may have 4.00 a gallon gas here soon, so we all know where diesel prices will be.

I was looking at the IDI fest info, may have to try and slide up there.
That should only be a couple hours away from me.

I went back up and read above.
As for the 40 thou off the pistons, I had several conversations with Ken at DPS.
I had every intention of buying one of his motors since no one here wanted anything to do with an IDI rebuild.
That was a number we had agreed on since I do have to start and drive my truck every day, even when the thermometer is below zero.
After the Reviva fiasco, and how long it took to get some money back for a product that had problems, there was no time for a DPS engine, snow season was on top of me.

I did have to take a big chance on the block and machine shop work, even though I pointed out how a 6.9 could be bored without sleeves there was no warranty on the block work.
Sleeves in the 7.3 have poisoned the machine shops on IDI engines around here.

Since I drive right by the machine shop owners house of the one that did my work every day, there is now one shop here that will work on a 6.9 IDI.
I blow a little black so the turbo spools every time I climb that hill in front of his house, just for him.

Back in those days, before the nation wide CDL, Colorado was where all the fast meat wagons ran out of.
Colorado had this nice thing, if you had a Colorado drivers license and gat caught speeding, as long as you paid the ticket before it was due, the ticket did show up on your driving record.
But the nice thing was there were no points deducted from you license unless it happened in Colorado.
So if the wallet was full, loud pedal on the floor.
Our usual delivery schedule put us out of town after the time you had to leave and average 50 MPH straight through to the delivery to make it.
Rain, snow, sleet or sun didn't make any difference.
You had a delivery schedule and delivery was expected on time.
Even with 300 gallons of fuel on board, I had to stop for fuel somewhere close to the Ohio Pa border, you had scales to cross and a couple meals to eat somewhere between Denver and the east coast.

Scott Truck Lines were the colors I was flying back then, they have gone the way of so many other trucking companies now though.

100 MPH was cruising speed, dropped in the big hole at 85, so 100+ was easy to do.
I will have to say, I had many laughs when passing someone at 80.
They thought they were doing good right up till you shifted to the big hole at 85.

I had a lot of fun, but I am sure that is part of the reason my teeth fell out before I was 40 and all of my hair was grey way before 50.

Last edited: