Members helping members - OOG helped me buy a truck

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We went to look at a crew cab the other day that was too clean, too rust free, and too cheap. Every truck has a story and its up to the buyer to unearth the story and determine the merits of same.

The truck is rust free and straight. From Colorado, registered to current owner for two years. 186,000 miles, xl, rubber floor mats, good seats, non turbo, 5-speed and did I mention no rust no-where? After a test ride, we just couldn't find any reason to not buy it, except, for the price, it had to be hiding something. Hmmmm, what could it be? Oh yeah, four new tires to boot.

The coolant was full up to the cap (seemed odd), fresh and green as could be. No coolant in the reservoir. No coolant in the oil. No oil in the coolant or jug. But what is that dripping on the front axle? Could it be..... Coolant? Yep. Hose? No. Cracked block? I can't imagine. Then I chased the leak on up around to the water pump. My dad was a mechanic and he used to "let me" change water pumps in his shop. I remembered that they had weep holes and when the seals went bad, they were due for replacement.

Dig some more, sure enough, it's the water pump. I had just read an excellent phototuriol from OOG so I knew what we were getting into. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?67090-Oog-does-a-waterpump We tell the seller that we'd like to buy the truck but it needs a $400.00 water pump job. We went on to say that we would do the work ourselves so the cost would be more like $150.00 or so. Are you able to make an adjustment in the (already too darn cheap) sales price Sir? How's about I knock $200.00 off?, he replied. SOLD.

We helped him clean it out and drove it thirty miles home and loved every minute of it. The USS SnowBird as she's been christened makes for five Ford diesels on the compound. We're gonna have to sell something soon. That's what momma said anyway.

Thank you OilBurners crew and thank you OOG in this current case.

* The "we" is my nineteen year old son and I. He's his own man, not a kid anymore. I saw the truck on Craigslist, sent the link to him and he didn't object to me riding along. The beauty of Oogs write up is that son can change the water pump all by himself without the old man leaning over his shoulder telling him what he's screwing up. OOG, you a good teacher. Thank you man.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 28
  • drip drip drip.jpg
    drip drip drip.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Ya around here any rust = scrap it. If its any indication mine has rusty cab corners and I got it for $1k which the only reason I paid that much was b/c it was turbo'd ($500 turbo + 700-800 scrap price) that and the fact that even in pristine shape they only go for $3500. (back when I got mine there were 3-4 on craigslist for $3k)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really nice looking rig and for the price how can a guy go wrong. Just make sure the person doing the water pump knows about the 2 top and bottom bolts. they have a special short length so they do not contact the timing gears plus... they require thread sealant on them. these are the only 4 bolts that enter the oily side of the engine and oil sure will leak out past tight threads no matter how tight the bolts are. Also these bolts thread into a thin spot welded nut on the gear side and they will strip easily too. Pay attention to the hand torque when you remove them. If you strip these nuts it requires the complete front end of the engine to be removed for repair. We had a member strip a couple of these nuts so when he rebuilt that engine he welded bolts to the back side of that plate. then ground them down for clearance. Now he has 4 studs to mount that heavy water pump on next time it needs to be replaced plus... Never again will those factory welded flat nuts strip out again. Using grade 5 bolts here is what works. Grade 8 will break off after welding so do not try those grades.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Really nice looking rig and for the price how can a guy go wrong. Just make sure the person doing the water pump knows about the 2 top and bottom bolts. they have a special short length so they do not contact the timing gears plus... they require thread sealant on them. these are the only 4 bolts that enter the oily side of the engine and oil sure will leak out past tight threads no matter how tight the bolts are. Also these bolts thread into a thin spot welded nut on the gear side and they will strip easily too. Pay attention to the hand torque when you remove them. If you strip these nuts it requires the complete front end of the engine to be removed for repair. We had a member strip a couple of these nuts so when he rebuilt that engine he welded bolts to the back side of that plate. then ground them down for clearance. Now he has 4 studs to mount that heavy water pump on next time it needs to be replaced plus... Never again will those factory welded flat nuts strip out again. Using grade 5 bolts here is what works. Grade 8 will break off after welding so do not try those grades.

I changed the pump on my 351 a few years ago and broke one or two(can't remember) bolts off inside the block. :mad:

I don't recommend anybody do what I did.....but I was on the road, away from tools, away from a shop, etc....I RTV'd the hell out of that SOB and tightened the other bolts up good. Damn thing hasn't leaked a drop of coolant since. :rotflmao

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aww.....oog blushing.

Glad I could help. OB helped me out quite a lot so I figures id return th3 favor. Holler if you need anything elsw