Melling lifter recall?

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
has anybody heard about this. i was on another web site and they were talking about it. they were saying that there are two styles of lifters, one with smooth body, recess,and oil hole. another with smooth body, recess, oil hole, and a groove on the side.
the one with the groove on the side is said to be almost 15 points lower on the rockwell than the others. the cam is chewing them up. i only mention this as i received 8 of each with my parts kit. when i sent them back i received 16 of the ones with the groove in them. i have a call into my machine shop, but there on vacation till next week. anybody have any info on this?:dunno
chris

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No but I really want to know about this. I may have the supposed bad set in my truck motor.

diesel4me2

Reaction score
me to, thats why i asked. phone calls to melling have gone unanswered. i'll keep trying to get any more info that i can
chris

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
oh come on, i have a melling cam and lifter set in my motor i don't know what style it is either! :mad: not good i hope it's a rumor....

-Jon:puke:

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think that if they were bad, the machine shop would know about it, and would have stopped using them. Usually something like that is recalled, and not continued to be used unless the shop is just not informed, and that would scare me. Let us know what you find. Oh, by the way did you replace the cam also?? Has any heard of an after market cam with different spec (such as more lift, or more duration), for a turbo motor.

Marq

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's right, we do run roller lifters. I remember reading about all the research and tech International actually did. I know I was pretty impressed on how well the engine is designed and built. Steel rods and crank, roller lifters, killer built in oil cooler and oil pump. The bd2 pump is a master piece of engineering in itself. In fact there are several engines that use the same injector pump, including the Detroit designed 6.2/6.5 eairly diesel, pre 94 I believe. Anyway, there's a reason why there's 3 million IDI's out there.

Marq

diesel4me2

Reaction score
That recall affects Flat tappet lifters for 385 series engines from what I read, not rollers like our engines run.

well thats good. the info i read said it was for any 420-460 that ford used. i thought the 6.9 equaled 420. i'll try to get in touch with melling today to verify.
chris