Max boost in the modern age

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
So I've been going through some threads from now to a couple years ago when the max boost was 10 psi, MAX. Since some guys are running 20+ these days I was wondering if anyone had a revised estimate. Stock compression with studs and good gaskets. I'm not gonna say I'm thinkin about compounds but I might be thinkin about compounds. -Flame Thr

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Depends. You can run more boost, but the turbo setup will have to be custom. Sure I could run 15psi with my current setup and like you said headstuds...but with my turbo being stock, anything past 12psi is just wasted in heat, so no point in going that high.

If I shaved pistons some, head studs, head gaskets...and had a efficient turbo, I would run 20psi.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I know it'll have to be custom, I have an H1C and an unknown model turbo off a 3176 sittin around. I know I should just put the H1C on but hey, the other one is just sittin there.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'm too afraid to run my brown truck to the max yet since my pyro isn't working but I saw 10 psi the other day. I'm betting it'll probably run 12 or so. But since my IC is so big my turbo takes a long time to compress all that volume.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I'm hoping to see 20 at the least, even if I just put the H1C on

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Im running stock compression though so I can't safely go much over 12 even if my turbo will put it up that high.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I have stock compression also, well this engine most likely has the 20.7:1 pistons but my rebuilt one has the 21.5:1, thats what the turbo/s will be going on

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
i would say that the key to getting to the higher boost levels is to keep the air charge cool. I found that with the enterprise (stock compression) with it's banks turbo and no intercooler that anything over about 13~14 lbs super heated the air charge and there were no gains because the EGT's spiked too high and you couldn't use the power. I also found out that the use of water/**** injection does cool the charge down and does lend it's self to more usable power. But if you put in too much water you create a situation where you have too high a compression and end up actually putting the fire out so to speak and start to wrap the pistons around the wrist pins.... All my pistons were cracked and flattened one of the wrist pins.

I think the key if you wanted to run higher boost levels is to choose the correct compressor size (I don't have the knowledge to read a compressor map) in order to keep the air charge cool enough, couple that with an intercooler and I would venture a bet that it would work. Then once you get that down then work on getting enough fuel in there to start making power. Because Air doesn't make power, fuel does. I would venture to say that if a guy strapped on a Holset WH1C that he could gain higher boost levels say in the 20 range. This was the turbo I used on my Dodge and yes it had a intercooler and I ran 30 psi on that motor without a problem.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crash86 has not posted in a few weeks. ;Really

I wouldn't put much faith in claims that have not been time tested. Generally speaking, I have not heard any headgasket problems for engines converted to studs, but that is the accepted axiom...that going to studs cures HG issues, but... BUT... that is under normal usage. 19PSI is not normal usage. Time will tell if this is the new standard for stud equipped engines.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These engines dont have enough oil pressure available to support high boost at the rod bearings IMO. I have a max of 13-14psi boost and if that doesnt haul what I need, I need a different truck
Also anything over 8lbs really heats the air, we found this on the Mercedes project a few years back.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
These engines dont have enough oil pressure available to support high boost at the rod bearings IMO. I have a max of 13-14psi boost and if that doesnt haul what I need, I need a different truck
Also anything over 8lbs really heats the air, we found this on the Mercedes project a few years back.

That would depend entirely on what turbo/compressor Your using. Some bigger compressors will boost into the 30-40 lb range before heat becomes a problem. Of course, We'd have a problem getting anything like that to spin. Lag would be incredibly tough to overcome.