Making your own down pipe.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Anyone here made their own 3" or 4" downpipe for a 1996 F350? I was looking at my freebie F350 today and I thought to myself - "Piece of cake"......I can buy mandrel bent 3" - 4" elbows and pipe cheap at work and weld it together myself. Oh yeah, tell me some cheap ways to pick up a few ponies with a 97 PSD...I was figuring down pipe and cold air intake for starters....I have a Freightshaker M2 intercooler for it too.:eek:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I doubt with time included ya can make a 3" pipe for the price of a already made one.
as for fitting 4" pipe It wont fit without modifying the firewall. A body lift will help either one fit

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
i didn't know you could body lift a diesel! yeah, for the money/time you could go with a pre-made downpipe and be better off. i have a banks downpipe, the one thing i spent a lot of money on. it was also the one thing i didnt install! my **** shop told me they would put only the BANKS downpipe on my truck because it fit the best. they still had "tweak" my firewall to make it fit! but i noticed a big increase in throttle response. or should i say no loss.. i put it on at the same time as my lift and 37's;Sweet

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
yep Ive done 2 of them.
my 92, it was doene for looks, and I needed all the bed bolts anyhow.
and on my 96 I had no intentions of lifting, but it got a 3' body lift, to accomoidte the new turbo and downpipe now all I gotta do is install them.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I discovered something yesterday, the 3" stock downpipe on my 97 E350 van is not crushed at all....3" round top to bottom.....I thiink I can mod it to work too.:D ...