Making bio out of partially hydrogenated oils

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what are the issues? Anything other than reduced yeild?

What are the tips/tricks to getting good bio with paritally hydrogenated oil?
More heat? More NaOH/KOH? More Methanol? Longer processing?

I have a chance to pick up about 50 gallons of free oil but 40 of it is "partially hydrogenated" according to the guy wanting to give it away.

So is it worth the effort to go get it, or not? Can good bio be made from this kind of stock without going to some kind of extreme measures?

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll be fine,but be a higher cloud point(IE summer fuel).

Stu

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll be fine,but be a higher cloud point(IE summer fuel).

Stu

That's cool. I may not even be ready to make bio out of it for a month or two. If that is the only problem then do you think it would still work just fine - even in cooler temps - mixed as B50 with regular D2?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Just have to heat it up good to get it to work which can be difficult because if you use a heating element it'll kinda start burning on the element as it tries to liquify. Just do it slowly and it'll be fine. The best way is to use a microwave but on 40 gallons that'd be kinda tough. It'll make nice bio if it titrates low.

I had some oil that had ALOT of hydrogenated oil in it once and i couldn't figure out what it was. Thought it was batter or flour. We centrifuged it apart one day and then decided to through it in the microwave. Next thing we knew it all turned to liquid and turned into biodiesel just fine.

This pure hydrogenated oil didn't liquify until 110F. I don't know if that's common or not for it.