Main bolts into oil gallery

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing a crankshaft swap on my engine and I noticed every main cap has one bolt that goes directly into the drilled oil gallery, I’ve never seen this before and can’t seem to find anything online. Is this normal for the idi blocks or is my already “super special” engine even more “special”? Should I be putting some sealant on these bolts?
You must be registered for see images attach

It’s the left most bolt of each main set

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about sealent in any case(unless specified) - worst case, you might get a drop or two of oil seeping it's way down the threads every hour or something, right back into the oil pan where it belongs. Realistically, though, the head of a tight bolt seals pretty well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Also remember that you have 8 internal oil leaks right above the crankshaft called oil squirters or piston cooling jets. Whatever small seepage that you may have from this will be more than overcome by the sheer volume put out by the oil pump.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found it weird that they would drill through where the main bolts went, to me that would be a good way to get small metal shavings into your bearings when you tighten the bolts or even blocking off oil flow if a stud is used and bottomed out. Never seen it before and couldn’t find any mention of it either.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I guess I've just plain never paid that much attention when I was looking at those holes.