LUK smf clutch

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally pulled the tranny this weekend, and the disc looks suspect. It was obviously slipping, only about half the disc seemed to be making contact. When you look at the disc on edge, the metal that the friction material is riveted to is bent, much like if was trying to be a spring. I have never seen this in a disc, so I imagine that is the problem. Anyone else have one to check out or remember looking at theirs?

The flywheel and pressure plate look fine, and the springs on the PP were flat and even when installed. I am going to buy just a disc, as this setup had less then 10k miles on it.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: the Luk pressure plate was off center; a defect that would not allow full pressure. I took it to a clutch shop that has a table to measure and adjust, and after the pressure was disassembled and adjusted, works fine.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTH 10K and already a problem and then you say off center sounds like a problem Luk should make good over.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but it's not worth my time when I can get it fixed locally. I just wanted to share my experience and fix. The shop had the pressure plate ready to go that same day.

fellro86

Reaction score
Being a manufacturing engineer, I will say that we do want to know when a product fails so we can be sure to not let it happen again. I have so far always had good results with luK clutches.