Low power, black smoke, hard cold starts=bad injectors?

chumwon

Reaction score
I have a 92 idi with an original non-wastegated banks turbo kit on it. I just got this truck an realized it lacks in power for having a turbo but had no gauge to prove boost. Recently inspected/clean turbo and did new air intake an now know I make 5-6psi boost at high rpm. It cold starts horribly the first time then fine after that. Puffs black once first started and always when you give it throttle on the road. Engine doesn't miss by any means but has slight rough idle, shakes truck, still cruises fine just poor power an mpg. Was told it had new injectors an glow plugs but once I uncovered an could see them they all look quite old and highly doubt were replaced anytime recently. Love the old truck an just want to dial the ole diesel in. Any input and help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd venture a guess at timing... or an old IP with "new" injectors.

chumwon

Reaction score
Messing with the timing was gonna be the next thing I did before I buy anything to try an throw at it. I just didn't know how to tell if it was out of time or not, quite a bit different then timing a gasser. Thank you carrillo!

chumwon

Reaction score
After looking the injectors over only one of the eight have been replaced since factory. The rig just rolled over 200,000

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the engine is shaking badly at idle, you can go around as it's running and crack each injector line till it leaks, and see if it makes any difference in how it runs. Each time you crack a line it should run worse. If it doesn't affect how it runs you know that cylinder is not contributing, either a injector problem, valvetrain problem, etc.

chumwon

Reaction score
I just ordered 8 factory replacements and a return line kit. I'm hoping that'll take care of it but if not I know it's gotta be the IP after that. I'll call it a little preventative maintenence either or! Looks like a pretty straight forward process on these idi's, any thing I need to be aware of to do or careful of while I'm doing the injectors? Thanks everyone!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you dig all the copper injector gaskets out and loosen the vibration clamps on the hard lines.

chumwon

Reaction score
Alright I'll make sure there's no copper gasket left in the bores. Thanks again for all the help! The injectors will be to me tomorrow and hopefully i can also get them installed so I'll let you guys know the good news soon!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're not in a rush to get the truck tuned up, I'd highly recommend one of the folks from this board... they'll be properly built injectors that are pop tested and matched.

chumwon

Reaction score
Ah crap...well I just put them in unfortunately but it did do the trick an fixed every issue I do believe! Someone actually put G injectors in a n/a truck. Couple already had double copper gaskets! one actually concerned me as the injector bore was completely full of soot I'm guessing to where the injector would barley come out!!??... not sure what that means but after cleaning them up, installing new injectors an lines she runs like I'd think it would out of the factory!

chumwon

Reaction score
The only thing it didn't fix was my hard first start but after a good drive and inspection it looks like several of my new plastic return caps are leaking...the o rings are new aswell.any special technique on sealing the caps properly? Thanks everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online