Low fuel mileage, ULSD & Timing

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to retiming my pump, and with no other changes on my engine, I can tell you straight up that it has a bunch more power at 10.5 deg btdc ( pulse method ) than it did at 8.5 deg. The thing actually has pep again, and it's burning cleaner as well. On top of that it actually sounds like a diesel again, Nice crisp solid idle, and it starts cold much faster ;Sweet
It'll take a while to run some fuel mileage readings, but the way the thing is feeling, I'm pretty confident that the fuel mileage is going to go up.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Check this out for how timing affects performance.
Oliver Diesel

Jim

That's a neat site to get a rough idea of the process, but that information was gathered using 500ppm fuel. It would be interesting to see the same tests run on 15ppm ULSD and see where things fall.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
funny this thread came up.
I timed my truck by ear. factoring fuel milage and power, over a little while.

anyway I've run b100 for a very long time, 2-3 years.
Well I bought a new house, got pnuemonia, been taking classes, etc etc and havn't had time to make fuel.

bought a load of ULSD and was just telling the wife that the ole moose pumps lost it's edge and I'd have to retime it because it was retarded as 1980's fashion.

guess it's just the fuel. Suppose I'll get the timing between what ULSD and B100 need.

drew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle