Low boost on 97 PSD OBS

JMWRIGHT335

Reaction score
Hey all, my 97 is completely stock shy of a full exhaust 3 inch down pipe and 5 inch out the back no cat no muffler and a clean new filter and A BRAND NEW TURBO, also a brand new PCM. I bought the truck as she sits with 100550 miles on and clean as a whistle. I'm a technician and I have a snap on Solus Ultra so I can monitor everything the truck sees. My complaint is the truck accelerates normal as long I stay no more than about 1/4 throttle if I go WOT the truck drops gears as it should and the turbo screams but I go no where. Now I know everyone will just go to trans shifting but this isn't the problem as the rpms don't rise, they rise initially when I downshift but even in direct drive my rpms rise slowly as the truck slowly accelerates. Now I have no faults at all, except for P1111 for system pass.
I have verified correct operation of the EBPV and it moves free
I measured boost at the map sensor and had a max reading of 8psi WOT
I then under WOT manually applied vacuum to the map sensor and then the truck made no additional power, shook a bit and made no smoke.
I then disconnected the map and ran it that way with no change.
The truck has never smoked any color.
As I said before this is a brand new turbo so there is no play in the wheels

I have no soot build up anywhere its clean as a whistle under there.
Ran a cylinder contribution test: PASS
Buzz test: All 8 injectors sound the same... PASS
Solus offers a expected range that everything should be in and every monitor is 100% in
line with what is expected.
Fuel pressure at idle is 50-60 psi bouncing between the 2
Fuel pressure at WOT seizes between 30-60 psi but at higher RPM`s it levels out to 50-60
Next i smoked the intake with an actual smoke machine and found 0 leaks in the intake, through the map sensor hose, the up-pipes everything is solid...

alldata says at 2500-3000 RPM while t-ed in on map sensor line. " If boost pressure us 15.5 (90kPa) or more, boost level is ok. So theres definantly something peculiar happening im almost half of that.

Any other ideas? Of what to check, im running low on ideas.

Thank you all.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would want to apply positive pressure to the MAP sensor and not vacuum to test and see if the problem is with the turbo. If you make the ECM think you have lots of boost, then you will get black smoke if you actually have a turbo or boost leak problem.

JMWRIGHT335

Reaction score
Hmm.... That`s a very good point. I'm a little disappointed in myself that I did not have that epiphany... I will be doing that at lunch today... Any other ideas?

JMWRIGHT335

Reaction score
I smoked the checked the whole plennum this morning. I drove it again and monitored on my lunch break, was getting upwards of 11.1 psi this time around. Starting to think It may just be normal

JMWRIGHT335

Reaction score
ICP pressure at idle is 584.8
IPR Duty cycle at idle is 13%

ICP Pressure at WOT is 1621.8
IPR Duty cycle at WOT is 35%

EBP at isle is 16
EBP at WOT is about 21

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
stock 97 isn't going to make much boost. Need bigger injectors, tuning, gauges and free flowing exhaust.

JMWRIGHT335

Reaction score
I understand this. What my objective is, is while it is 100% stock that it is functioning as it should 100% stock. It isnt logical to take something that may have a low boost problem and simply ignore it and mask it by throwing power adders at it. Yes I will make more boost this way but if there is a problem there then its still going to be there and may become worse or detrimental So with this said I want to know without the shadow of a doubt that my truck is in perfect working order stock before I start making modification.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
IIRC, you can disconnect the IPR plug and the computer should resort automatically to a stock setting. If that gets you going, your IPR is bad. If it doesn't, then I think your HPOP might not be pushing enough oil to the injectors.

JMWRIGHT335

Reaction score
Motorcraft oil and filter. I'm a big OEM fan, I work for a dealer and believe you should keep maintenance items factory. And that was done just at about 3,000 miles ago now

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7