Low boost high EGT's

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I got thinking last night, is it possible to plumb an intercooler backwards? Like there's an IN and OUT flow to the thing? If so maybe I've got a problem because I'm running this intercooler backwards to how the cummins motor would have ran it.

No in or out on the intercooler. fwiw, most cummins I have seen the intercooler inlet is on the pass. side. Sounds like advanced timing to me.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
From what I've read on the cummins and PSD forums about boost leaks, what my truck is doing sounds exactly like a boost leak, minus the louder rattling noise. But IDI's and cummins/psds are like comparing apples and oranges.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
From what I've read on the cummins and PSD forums about boost leaks, what my truck is doing sounds exactly like a boost leak, minus the louder rattling noise. But IDI's and cummins/psds are like comparing apples and oranges.
If you are comparing to a 12 valve p pump, then I know it is not a boost leak. We have many f700's at work and one popped the hose from the turbo to intercooler off. It was like a freight train, or a sled puller, but with no power. Also the computerized trucks read the boost pressure and then fuel accordingly, so no boost=no fuel.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Change the fuel filter.

THat's exactly what I was about to say. All this speculating about doom and gloom, and nobody has taken care of the first thing you do when power drops off :rolleyes:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Hey guys, gonna do some work on the truck today hopefully get to checking the plumbing and fittings and pump timing and all that stuff to narrow down the possibilities. Dyoung, yea, you got me I'm still running those POS's. The thing smokes so bad on startup now its like I didn't even rebuild the motor.
Jake, I do believe I have the filter minder around here and I've always wanted to install it.
I got thinking last night, is it possible to plumb an intercooler backwards? Like there's an IN and OUT flow to the thing? If so maybe I've got a problem because I'm running this intercooler backwards to how the cummins motor would have ran it.

You need to get them things out! there probly just ******* fuel

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THat's exactly what I was about to say. All this speculating about doom and gloom, and nobody has taken care of the first thing you do when power drops off :rolleyes:
Changing the fuel filter certainly can't hurt, but why would a plugged fuel filter raise the EGT's sky-high?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well now I know what was going on. Atleast I have a pretty good idea. Blown head gasket into a water jacket. I got everything done with it today and just took it for a test drive. I ended up limping it home with a giant cloud of white smoke trailing behind and the temp gauge on the L. I don't understand why this happened or anything, but I'm gonna go get drunk. Sad to say since I'm not a drinker but I guess I'll see ya'll in the morning.

weilertrans

Reaction score
out of curosity have you replaced the FUEL filter. If the engine doesent get enough fuel it cannot produce boost or power.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Hey jimraelee, you know a guy named Thomas Brown? He lives over in Gaston there behind the Ace Tavern. Gawd I love their rib eye steak sandwiches! Not so much the one guy that sings nothing but Metallica karaoke....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sean, I'm terribly sorry to hear about this. I can't readily offer any insight as to why this happened until everything's taken apart. I can't even imagine how you have to feel right now...I feel sick to my stomach just reading what happened :(

FWIW, the fuel filter would certainly account for low power, but wouldn't account for high EGT's...and while I know dyoung killed his pump with a bad fuel filter, I don't think a bad filter can kill a pump this quickly, unless a hole somehow got in the filter and allowed unfiltered fuel to get into the pump...but, even then, this all seems to have happened REALLY quickly for that to have been the cause...

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey jimraelee, you know a guy named Thomas Brown? He lives over in Gaston there behind the Ace Tavern. Gawd I love their rib eye steak sandwiches! Not so much the one guy that sings nothing but Metallica karaoke....

nope cant say I know him or many others in Gaston... if you know the place theres not much in Gaston.. LOL :rotflmao

without black smoke, (excess fuel) but high egts ( low air in combustion) sounds to me like a lack of air flow... Turbo boost leaks as already mentioned... or just reduced air flow in the intake track...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726