Loud tick and odd intake noise

445TDF-series

Reaction score
I was going to work this morning and noticed a really obnoxious LOUD tick. Even when accelerating I could hear it over the diesel clatter... and when slowing down in gear, well, it was embarrasing to say the least...Checked all fluids, the oil ended up being a bit low, topped it off and the noise went away... Do hydraulic lifters do that when the oil gets low? The tick wasn't one you had to listen carefully for...it varied with rpm too... Also at idle there was a loud woofing noise coming from the intake it seemed. Did i damage something? It all went away with the oil level increase...

86 1 tonhauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah it was ur lifters, and the woofing was ur intake valves not properly opening cause of the low oil

445TDF-series

Reaction score
How much damage do you think was done? Everything is hunky dorey now... Truck uses a lot of oil or leaks it...can't figure out which one....

86 1 tonhauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the bottom end should be ok since thats the first thing that get oiled from the pump so maybe maybe a lil wear on the cam bearings but the rocker arms and lifters with be fine, i would recomend puttin a mechanical oil pressure gauge on ur truck and get rid of the pressure sending switch on the top of the motor and mount ur gauge line in its place

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old wrecker would do the exact same thing, if it got low on oil ONE of the lifters would screw up and it would tick and the intake would chuff. I just learned to keep a closer eye on the oil.

I did it probably 7 or 8 times, no apparent damage. The worst thing that could probably happen is a pushrod bending.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, probably nothing hurt...but even a healthy IDI uses some oil so check the oil at least every 200-300 miles, more often if you have a real "oilburner"
J.D.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a click for quite some time and could never quite narrow it down until it let go. It turned out to be a lifter. When I pulled the lifter up the roller wheel fell out of the bottom. I was able to get it pulled and put a new one in and so far ok.

I gereally like to run Rislone in everything with an oil change. It is a good cleaner. If you haven't. give it a try and see if it cleans out the dirt in the lifter and you might be ok. I have seen it do almost miraculous things. I use 2 quarts on a 10 quart change.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you haven't had your valve covers off in a while, this would be a good excuse to get in there a do a physical inspection. Just to be safe.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I guse i've got maybe 2k miles on it after the head job,and it was getting loud? why would leaving the rad cap loose make it louder?

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
well the bottom end should be ok since thats the first thing that get oiled from the pump so maybe maybe a lil wear on the cam bearings but the rocker arms and lifters with be fine, i would recomend puttin a mechanical oil pressure gauge on ur truck and get rid of the pressure sending switch on the top of the motor and mount ur gauge line in its place

Could somebody give me a quick rundown on the location of the pressure sending switch. I've looked yet me cants find it! Maybe the turbo is obscuring th e view?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Could somebody give me a quick rundown on the location of the pressure sending switch. I've looked yet me cants find it! Maybe the turbo is obscuring th e view?
Hey first off welcome to Oilburners! it should be back there, i'll get a picture of how i hooked mine up in the morning but for now it looks like this.

Attachments

• truck 026.jpg
    truck 026.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 12

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't see any introduction thread but I will post pics of the "Mastadon" in a few and introduce. I am new to diesels and look forward to pickin some brains around here.:D Great search engine, which has been invaluable but you might know how it goes.........simplest thing can completely baffle the newb.LOL

The gauge is a iEquus that reads from 10-100psi. Does Banks bypass the stock sending unit. It look like there is a sending unit on the turbo. Would it be possible to T off the turbo and if so, do I need an electrical or mechanical sending unit? I'm sure this is much easier than I am making it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online